Loud Popping On De-acceleration

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
parkergb6

Loud Popping On De-acceleration

Post by parkergb6 »

Hi,
I would be interested in your thoughts.
Recently on start up I occasionally get a large back fire.
Then on my last two journeys I noticed a very large popping noise coming from the exhaust on de-acceleration once close the throttle.
Before you say it I have a baffle free exhaust and this is very very loud anyhow but the "Popping" is louder.
Apart from that it runs fine idle, acceleration etc.
I'm thinking it may be running rich and the excess fuel is burning in the exhaust cans.
However I'm bloody useless when it comes to carbs.
I had my carbs balanced at tony.mons workshop day earlier this year and fitted the adapter for easy carb balancing at the time.

Your input would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Geoff
8O
tinysmall

Re: Loud Popping On De-acceleration

Post by tinysmall »

Yup. Sounds like its running rich. Get it on a dyno. It's worth the cost.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

That distinctive popping on the overrun doesn't necessarily mean it is running rich (check the mixes by all means) but it does mean you'll have lots of fun in tunnels and underpasses, especially those that are downhill. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy. :thumbup:
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

is there a good seal on all the exhausts joints??...mine did it until i put new seals on the header/linkpipe joints..
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes sounds like a bit of an air leak in the exhaust joints. you need fresh air to have the explosion, so recheck the sealing at the link pipe joints
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

+1, AMcQ has it pinned down, and also check/replace the compressible copper o-rings at the exhaust ports.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I used to love it when mine poped and banged on decceleration :lol:
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Running rich stops a bike popping on the over run .Weak mixture or leaks around the headers cause it.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

There is no point wasting money on a dyno with a standard bike, unless you have a Dynojet kit which you can adjust. The storm doesn't need a dyno run to get it running as it should as standard. IMHO. I suggest that air leaks are the cuplrit too.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Ro88o

Post by Ro88o »

for sure air leak! now i see, i had a lot of backfire on mine but i have recently put some new cans on and replaced all the copper gaskets and the metal fibre ring gasket efforts and it dosnt back fire to the same extent at all ,nowhere near :clap:
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I love this .. i actually have a wee system set up where I can switch on a vacuum valve to open the carb balance nozzle to air hence sucking in more air after the carbs .. this makes for some quite spectacular pops and bangs on the overrun esp when hot .. !! its is car alarm set off down the high street fun . ;-) dont use it all the time, just occasionally ..
Get the spitting and misfiring on start up when cold aswell, which continues if you put the choke in too soon. AFter warmed up nae bother runs great. Hot restart after filling up is a 'mare tho ..
Ro88o

Post by Ro88o »

off on with the kill switch has much the same affect, big flames too! :wink:
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Twinpotter wrote:but it does mean you'll have lots of fun in tunnels and underpasses, Enjoy. :thumbup:
Underground caroarks too sounds like thunder when blipped with open cans,
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

Thanks Guys.
Going to order the copper rings. Today I put my standard exhausts back on (temporarily) and due to the decrease in noise noticed that I'm also getting popping from underneath the tank on de-acceleration. I actually felt it as well on the run home tonight. Apart from that it seems ok. I'm wondering what the hell is going on. Guess Ill start taking all the exhaust off and go from there. BTW is it a straight forward job setting the fuel mixture.

Thanks again
Geoff :beer:
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

it is alittle un-nerving when it spits back through the carbs but it's normal...i think most if not all of us have experianced the thud and the feeling that the tanks lifting off the frame...balancing the carbs seemed to settle mine down and now it only does it now and again