Electrics SOS!?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Griff1977

Electrics SOS!?

Post by Griff1977 »

Hi all.

Just got friend around this eve (a non biker) and started bike up to let him hear it. After 20 secs we got an electrical burning smell with associated smoke. Not good.

Bike ran normally (for the 10 more secs I let it) as in no pops or puffs.

This happened literally 20 mins ago (1840 tonight).

Does anybody have any ideas/previous experience?

Ahhhhhh.

Griff :silent: :(
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
tony.mon

Re: Electrics SOS!?

Post by tony.mon »

Probably the connection at the lower end of the long starter motor cable, where it is bolted onto the starter.
Just pull the boot back, and see what it looks like.
Don't crank it over again, as the bolt that holds it on is likely to be burnt and you can't buy just the bolt.
But you can fairly easily make one, search on here for how.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

or the R/R has just let go, Where was the smoke coming from? if it was from under the seat R/H side then it was the R/R, if it low front end then it was as Tony says, when my R/R went in a cloud of smoke the bike ran normally until i shut it down, it even started back up once!!

Leachy
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Smoke deffo from front- even looked from under headlight but then from between forks. Have read your replys and now got haynes out about to 'av a look'!!!!

Deffo not seat. Fingers crossed!!

EDITTED POST INSPECTION:

Popped into garage after Tony & Leachy's response. Lights on, quick crank(bit late). Nothing. No smoke. No smell. Checked starter motor cable where it connects to starter motor under it's boot- seems ok.

I have washed it a few times recently and not been too conservative with the water? I'll have proper look tomorrow.

Griff. 8O
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Check the nylon/plastic headlight bulb connector where it plugs into the bulb as mine once 'melted' slightly. Changed it for a ceramic version and no problems since.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

What an idiot I am.....

I painted some Kurust onto exhaust manifold at front - to smooth out some surface rust and probably used too much, anyway, in the light it was obvious this was where the smoke was emitting from!!! Smelt remarkably like elec burning!!!

Ta anyway. 4x 9 mm holes now in the back of each can - sweet noise!!!!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:lol: :lol: guess most have been there at times - I remember spraying WD40 and whatever else I found in my dad's garage on a bike once, started it up and almost called the fire brigade before I realised what the cause was. Opened the garage door well wide, puff of wind and all was sweet :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Open the garage door= cheapest fix of the day.
Ah, well, all's well that ends well, Bard quote of the day.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.