New here? Come in and introduce yourself
CASTROL R

Post by CASTROL R »

Hi everyone!! :wave: I have just put a deposit on a 05 18000m firestorm and was doing some research and came across this brill site. The only cloud however are the dreaded CCTs :thumbdown: The engine sounds ok to me if a little agricultural (v twin virgin) but sounds no worse than mates sv1000? Do any members think i should be cheeky and ask the dealer to change prior to paying balance? The guy has been very good and bent over backwards for me and i dont want to take the mickey.
Kev L

Re: New member

Post by Kev L »

You could give it a go mate. Even if you volunteer to supply the parts and they fit them. I doubt they will take the bait but it's worth a go. The only down side to them doing it is you miss out on an opportunity to get familiar with the engine of the bike. It should only take you a few hours and you get an enormous sense of satisfaction doing bits yourself.
Whichever way you decide to go I would print off the brilliant instructions in the workshop section and ensure they are followed.
Enjoy the bike. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
CASTROL R

Post by CASTROL R »

Thanks Kev L for the advice, you have given me something to mull over now. I suppose i may be doing myself a favour and getting to know the beast 1st hand Cheers mucker :thumbup: Wonder how it will stack up against my buddys 05 sv1000s he's a cocky old fella who's a bit dismissive of vtr's ? We will see.
encee

Post by encee »

Mate, I`m pretty much brand new on here myself, as I`ve just picked up an SP1 today.

Having owned a Firestorm many years ago, and reminded myself how good they are by test-riding another last weekend, I can safely say that you will LOVE the `Storm mate, as they`re great bikes ! 8)

As regards the CCT thing, I think you may struggle getting the dealer to do it for nowt, having paid a deposit `n all and agreed a price, but as has been suggested already, maybe you can come to some sort of an arrangement with them and get them to do it before you collect ?

Anyway, good luck with it, and enjoy the bike, as I`m sure you will ! :D
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

My brother has a TL1000R and I much prefer the Storm. Although they share a common configuration they are completely different beasts.
Have a read through this and the superhawk forum and get a feel for the various mods that can be made to individualise the bike, improve the delivery etc. Maybe even come up with a killer mod of your own which achieves 190mph whilst returning 90mpg (I know you have done this already Benny!!!).
Good luck with it,

:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
CASTROL R

Post by CASTROL R »

Hi encee :wave: Thanks for the post mate. Really looking forward to getting the bike even though it wont get much use till next yr (Plenty time to get the cct sorted) I looked at a sp1 fantastic bike but after a big accident a few yrs ago the back wont bend hence the more upright firestorm for me. Think i will take kev l's advice bite the bullet and have a go at sorting it myself :thumbup:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Where are you m8?
CASTROL R

Post by CASTROL R »

Iam in sunny Barnsley mate :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club. CCT is a fairly easy job if you follow the instructions on this form, and igone the Haynes manual.

I would suggest you do the stopper mod (a fail safe)and then decide if you want to go to manual CCTs or just live with the stopper til they fail then replace.

Oh, and I guess by your screen name you have sone 2 stroke history :thumbup:
AMcQ
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

There are a few of us up here, Tatoo is Ponte, Bud is Ossett, Miztaziggy is Cleckheaton, me in North Leeds to name but a few

I just changed my cct's a few weeks ago, piece of cake due to the advice from the guys on the forum

I bought some manual ones from Bazza (That reminds me I need to send the old ones back)

Next year we will be holding another workshop for guys to get any work done when there are a few others around to offer help and advice

Welcome to the forum
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

hello and welcome to the forum m8

as AMCQ46 said..either do the stopper mod or fit manual CCTs,the only other thing to watch is the R/R as the unfinned ones are prone to over heating and failing.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Welcome and hello

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
CASTROL R

Post by CASTROL R »

Thanks to everyone for the great welcome i hope i will get to know you all a lot better and the advice is v.much appreciated. As 4 the user name yes i did the 2stroke thing in my misspent youth all the usual fizzy x7 rd400 elsie as probably most of you guys have if your of a certain age!! Though i currently live in barnsley i am originally from rothwell leeds. The workshop sounds a brill thing to participate with as i cant think of a better way to get to know your bike than to talk with guys who know these bikes inside out? Cheers fellas :thumbup: