New to the VTR

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Sandyback

New to the VTR

Post by Sandyback »

Hi, I am a long time biker but have never owned a Firestorm. I should be collecting my 2000 model on Friday. One of my first priorities over the winter will be to fit a pair of manual cam chain tensioners. I have seen much mention of the APE brand but does anyone on here have any experience or comments about these on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR-100 ... 656wt_1344

Seem a reasonable price at £60 for a pair? Good or is there a catch?

Any other recommendations welcomed

lloydie

New to the VTR

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
The ape ccts are good just follow the manual in the workshop and not mr Haynes as it misleading

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
Kev L

Re: New to the VTR

Post by Kev L »

Hello and welcome to the gang. Where are you based?
The guy that makes those cct's is a member on here but I don't know if he still visits. There are some which are made in the states by a guy called krieger who is also a member on here and the US superhawk forum and Bazza converts the original Honda cct's to manual operation. Bazza's are also a cheaper option.
Take care and I hope you enjoy the Storm as much as the rest of us.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Hi and thanks for the quick replies.
I am based in Tamworth, Staffs - very close to Drayton Manor Park.
The APE ones cost twice as much as those on that ebay link I posted and don't look much different to me. Would like to hear more about Bazza's mod.......cost and what is involved please?
Basically just looking for advice and opinions on the best CCT solution.
Thanks
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the tribe mate, you are not too far from me, and also cliveyandrews spends some of his weekends in Tamworth, and lloydie in Cov.... so there are a couple of use nearby if you need a hand.

There is no need to pay ape prices, the ones in the link do the job just as well. ... There is also a fail safe stopper mod you can do to the stock CCT, which cost nothing and protects the valves if the spring fails.
AMcQ
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Again, thanks for the replies, it's good to hear that there are some enthusiasts not too far away :)

AMcQ - could ask what you have done with your CCTs..... Manual or other?
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I think this old post talks you through the Bazza manuals -
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... =bazza+cct

This web address is for the krieger version -
http://www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com

You already have philpont's version and I used Rider on a Storm manuals (another member on here) but I don't think he has been on here for a while.

I changed mine to manuals as soon as I bought the bike, in Feb 2010, just for peace of mind. Whatever you choose to do don't choose to do nothing. The auto's are a ticking bomb.
:beer:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Apart from the CCT issue that I was aware of before buying the bike, are there any other VTR problems that a new owner should be aware of or is this the main achilles heel?
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

pre facelift bikes (16l tank with Firestorm written on it) have issues with the reg/rec. Mounted on the right of the subframe under the seat panel. The flat surface ones overheat. The later ones are finned and seem to survive better. There are a number of cures, much like the cct problem.
Other than that they are pretty reliable and extremely addictive.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sandyback wrote:Again, thanks for the replies, it's good to hear that there are some enthusiasts not too far away :)

AMcQ - could ask what you have done with your CCTs..... Manual or other?
I do the stopper mod, in my mind it is the best of both worlds [and I am Scottish, so I like the fact it costs nothing] :)

The other problems to watch is the Voltage Regualtor/Rectifier, they can get hot and fail. fix is detailed in Workshop section.....either get a newer Honda part with fins [there is a lsit of bikes that are compatable, even a 125 part will work!], or remove the connector and fit a Yamaha part.

all other mods are just to improve performance / handleing / braking / noise / light / looks etc
AMcQ
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I have some manual ccts from Bazza and they work a treat
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Flatline wrote:I have some manual ccts from Bazza and they work a treat
Thanks, how do I get more info on these.......I really want to do a CCT mod over the next couple of months but don't know the best route?

How much are Bazza's? - I've not seen the price mentioned on here, but it may just that I am new and don't know my way around this forum yet?

Cheers
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Price? We don't usually talk about price.
(sucks teeth)
Mmmmmm, let's see, there's VAT, delivery, bits and pieces.....

D'ye want them fitted?
Or just supplied?

Do you live in a big house, in a posh area?
Public school?
Vote Tory?
Just wondering......

See, what you need to think about is the cost of fixing it if you don't.........
What do you reckon, Bazza?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
T8ull

Post by T8ull »

Gettin mine next week, getting cct's done before I even mount her!
.........So far, so good, so what!
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

T8ull wrote:Gettin mine next week, getting cct's done before I even mount her!
That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing. Strange time of year to buy a bike - but I have the winter to give it a good look over and sort out this "weakness" :)