Is breaking a bike worth the effort?

General Bike chat
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

Hi,
new to the forum.
I'm interested to get anyone's experience of breaking their Firestorm. I have a '97 model in generally good condition which I was planning to sell soon as I need the money.
Unfortunately it was blown over in the high winds a few days ago causing damage to most of the panels plus mirror and clutch lever and it needs a new rear tyre so I'm thinking it might bring more money now if I break it.
Just wondered how much people have got in total for breaking their bikes and how long it took to strip down clean and post all the bits? Is it worth it?
It does have an Ohlins rear shock and Dymag wheels which is why I think it might bring more if I break it as they don't seem to add massive value if selling the bike as a whole.
I was going to post in the for sale section to get a rough idea of value of the main parts but can't place a post in there because I'm a new user.
Any responses appreciated.
AMCQ46

Re: Is breaking a bike worth the effort?

Post by AMCQ46 »

There have been other posts looking at the value of the bike in bits, and it does add up, especially of you have desirable bits like your shock & wheels, which would normally be worth very little on the standard bike.

Engine is worth £350 + depending on condition and milage, with carbs and starter removed

Have a look for the other posts but expect a lot of interest on here for your bling bits.

And I want to be 1st in the que for the wheels :thumbup:
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

Thanks for the quick reply. It's only done 22k so the engine and most parts should bring decent prices. Looking at the prices on the link though and adding it up it's probably not be worth the effort as I don't have loads of spare time.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I'd like to think you're genuine (and I apologise if you are) but this sounds just like how all fraudulent sales start: hello I'm new and I've got lots of expensive, blingy parts that you all might like.

Just keep your wits about you folks.

And if you try reading the rules you'll see why you cant get into the sales section.
Rich.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good point cupasoop, I was forgetting our visitors last yr and they trouble that caused :thumbdown:
AMcQ
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

Any skepticism completely understood. Would have preferred to have post in the for sale section as I know some forums don't like it when you post "possible for sale" threads in the main forums. Understand why new users can't post in the for sale section though.
Is there a way to search specifically in the for sale forums to get an idea of prices? I went onto the advanced search but don't seem to be able to select just to search there. Trying to get an idea of value for the shock as it seems like the value of that will decide if it's worth breaking.
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Perhaps if you let us know where you are, a local experienced member could come over for a cuppa and have a look over the bike for you, giving their opinion?
Chris.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

I'm in Newcastle, probably not worth someone coming to have a look though. I know which bits are damaged so have assumed I won't get anything for them.
Was really just after rough idea of prices for the stuff I'd be selling and an idea of how long it would take to break. Reckon it's a job I could get finished in less than a day or would it end up being a full weekend? I've got a decent tool kit and track stands but don't have access to a centre lift jobbie.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Why wouldn't it be worth someone coming round??

Maybe they will want to come and have a look and buy something

Surely you would want someone from here to validate that you are a "real" seller

After all, we are your target market ( and I need a new rear shock :lol: )
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

Just to fill you in some guys from here got ripped off about a year ago by a new member which is why the forsale section was changed to a minimum number of posts before you can post in there.

Consequently I think there are quite a few people here who wouldnt buy from someone just popping up to try and sell bits, i personally would not buy from you without either the protection of an ebay sale or your being verefied by a long standing member.

VTR1000.ORG is quite a close little community really and most of us here have met or met someone who has met someone who wants to buy/sell (if that makes sense) because of that everyone is very trusting of the people they encounter on here (imo), but people have taken advantage of that previously and i think most take the attitude once bitten twice shy, its nothing personal and you may be the most genuine guy in the world but i'm sure you can understand people not wanting to risk their hard earned in these tough times.

Anyway back on topic my old yzf750 was out of mot and wouldn't start when i went to it one morning, as it stood it was worth £700 busting it up in bits i got £1200 in on it but lost about £100 of that on ebay and paypal fees, so yeah it can be worth it, and its amazing the silly little parts that people want sometimes. with the trick bits on yours by the sounds of it you would be better off breaking it. got any pics of it? :thumbup:
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

Geeez, you guys are pretty suspicious on here! Understandable though if you had scammers on here in the past.
If I decide to split the bike then I'll be happy for anyone to come round and take a look, don't want to waste anyone's time when I haven't actually decided what to do yet though. To make a decision I need to figure out what all the bits are worth though.
Since the faring is damaged the most valuable parts are going to be the engine, shock and wheels. Got an idea of price for the enigne but I can't see any Dymag wheels having sold on here and did a search for Ohlins shocks but none of the results seemed to be for sale items after trawling through 10 pages of results. Couldn't find any that had sold on ebay either.
jacko791

Post by jacko791 »

Sorry, made my last post before seeing Jonesy's reply. Thanks for filling me in, as I said though I can understand people not trusting a new poster.
If I do decide to sell I might just put it all on ebay anyway but thought this would be the best place to get an idea of prices.
Thanks for everyone's replies so far anyway.
mad4it028

Post by mad4it028 »

i break bikes for a living and can tell you its alot of hard work, most bikes are worth more in bits but not alot more not enough to warrent the hassle
most of the bikes i break are insurence right offs etc, and before anyone asks no i have no spare vtr parts..lol
bikes bought dead or alive crash damged , none runners , abandond projects
gilson

Post by gilson »

I'll have those wheels. Ignore AMCQ's request. I'll give you a
Good price plus some standard wheels in return:)

My mates just bought a zx10 track bike. Need to keep up!
No bike (yet).