CCT Rattle or not?

General Bike chat
vtryorks

CCT Rattle or not?

Post by vtryorks »

Hi guys,

Just servicing the VTR after the winter layoff. Noticed that there is a rattle coming from the engine at low RPM, say anything from 3000 down. From what I've read, it sounds like its probably the CCT's but I am not certain.

Definitely not going to run the bike further until I have investigated this. I was told when I bought the bike that the CCT's had been stop modded but cant be sure (and need to be)

So I guess my questions are...

Does anyone have a video/audio recording of a failing CCT and the noise it makes?
Is there a way of checking that the stopper mod has been done visually without taking tank, air box and carbs off etc?
Is it more likely that the CCT's would fail after a period of storage? I'm thinking tension spring corrosion over winter, even though the bike is dry stored.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks fellas.
AMCQ46

Re: CCT Rattle or not?

Post by AMCQ46 »

You can tell if they have the stopper fitted by removing the 8mm cover screw from the end of the rear CCT and putting in a screw driver.

If the stopper mod is done you will only be able to turn the ctt out by 1/2 a turn, 3/4 tops. If there is no stopper it it will be free to turn more than this.
If the spring is broken, you will feel no resistance in turning the screwdriver, and it will not spring back to the starting point.

BUT PLEASE READ THIS before you do anything

don't turn it out by more than 2 turns if you have not set the crank to the correct firing tdc for the cylinder you are checking or the chain may jump and Then you have fulfilled your proficy :thumbdown:
AMcQ
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Thanks mate.

I just read another post which suggests it might not be CCT at all, because Im pretty sure it disappears when I pull the clutch.....waiting for confirmation of that.

Ideally, I'd find a list of things to diagnose a CCT failure as a sound is a hard thing to explain via a forum.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

If it is a failed CCT it sounds like a bag of spanners, much louder than any normal noise. If the noise goes when the clutch is pulled in, then it is obviously not the CCT. But Check the rear CCT for stopper, and then you have peace of mind that the engine is protected.
AMcQ
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Thanks mate :)
wiltsdan

Post by wiltsdan »

Mine tends to sound a bit rattley, but only when giving it some at low rpm and expecting it to growl its way up to speed instead of changing down a gear or two.
You can get a bit paraniod about cct's. :plainsmile
No I can't spell.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

It probably is paranoia and doesnt really sound like a bag of spanners. Its more of a rattle. It only used to happen if I was at almost exactly 1800rpm. Usually at lights. After the winter, it seems to happen even when its just idling.

Pretty sure its clutch and nothing to worry about but I want to investigate anyway since I'll be selling her soon :(
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I have now checked whilst servicing the bike.

The rattle is present regardless of clutch position. The sound appears to be coming from near the front CCT and is quite loud. The thing is, it doesnt sound like a bag of spanners. Its just a loud rattle.

All very odd. Any other ideas as to what else it might be? I've got the fairing off and its up on a stand so I'm ready and willing...oooer.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

do you have a blender / liquidiser in the kitchen?
if so, try to liquidise a bunch of keys, or £1 in 2s & 1s
thats what failed ccts sound like!

i think at the stage you're at you should pop the cam covers off (cold) and measure the valve clearances.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Righty o. I'll get that done too. Want her to be tip top :D
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

mine is loud, till I pull the clutch in.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Listened again and I dont think its the clutch. I can hear the clutch rattle too which is very slight.

This rattle is much louder but still not bag of spanners or liquidiser full of 2p's.

Just cant think what it might be. Going to do what Marty suggested.