Heres One For Yh

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pariah

Heres One For Yh

Post by pariah »

Missus Honda Hornet 600 whilst out on a run today just cut out while doing 60 , she coasted to a halt and it wouldnt start again .
Now .......no problems starting before hand, no unusual pop bangs or nosies. Battery seems flat yet I charged her up lasat week and shes ridden it since then. Plenty of fuel in the tank. Indicators flash, head light real dim ,bike clicks when peressing the starter.
Took battery off and tested it , showing 12.6volts ? :confused . Recovery bloke with out testing any thing said alternator ? :confused
So has any one any idea what to look for.

Cheers
Rick
AMCQ46

Re: Heres One For Yh

Post by AMCQ46 »

reg /rec problem?
AMcQ
jono49

Post by jono49 »

12.6v sounds ok but if the headlight is dim it sounds like the battery, and a cell has sulphated and shorted...........In other words it's "Fooked" and it's time for another one :roll:
gafr

Post by gafr »

definate charging fault
blob748

Post by blob748 »

Hi, sounds like a regulator! :thumbdown:
pariah

Post by pariah »

What I dont understand is why the bike cut out.
The battery is only a storage device for power to start the bike, once started it could be removed and the bike would still run ? Also, when the RR went on my storm it cooked the battery and stank like rotten eggs, yet there was no evidence of this. :confused
seb421

Post by seb421 »

when the reg went on my storm i could bump it but it wouldn't keep running mate, swapped the reg over and a quick charge and I was away
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
pariah

Post by pariah »

Well the batterys on the optimate and all looks good with it. Got full lights up on so must be ok. Will put the battery back on the bike tomorrow and use the multi meter to check the charge rate at 5,000rpm with the lights on , that will show me if the RR has gone or not. :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

pariah wrote:What I dont understand is why the bike cut out.
The battery is only a storage device for power to start the bike, once started it could be removed and the bike would still run ? Also, when the RR went on my storm it cooked the battery and stank like rotten eggs, yet there was no evidence of this. :confused
The coils are effectively a device that amplifies the input signal and outputs a higher voltage (high tension as opposed to low tension).

If the RR is damaged, the input signal is wrong, even allowing for the battery's damping effect, and therefore the output is wrong, too, no spark is the result.
That's why it stopped.
Also the ECU recognises an incorrect signal and won't respond to it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
pariah

Post by pariah »

Batterys back on the bike and she fired up fine . Standing the reading was 13.4v, on tick over it reahed 14.7v then when run up to 5,000 she read 13,7 so looks like the battery and RR are fine. Does any one know which RR I can repalce to check it with. I,ve had a quick look and it looks like the original flack black rubber type :cry:
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Battery voltage should never exceed 14.4v.

I'd be replacing the RR asap.