Nitrous!!!

General Bike chat
masterdave

Nitrous!!!

Post by masterdave »

im starting gathering together the parts to fit nitrous to my bike, i dont know of anyone else who has fitted it to a storm so could be interesting, but i have a mate who fitted it to his SRAD 600 successfully whos helping me :)
going for 25hp to be safe first of all
seb421

Re: Nitrous!!!

Post by seb421 »

It sounds cool but in reality would it be useful on the road's? you would have to have it stood up and out of the corner to use it, and then jump on the brakes for the next turn

and a sudden instant blast of power cant do the crank any favours surely?
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

more if a toy than actually useful, but my mates 600 SRAD is seriously quick and not low mileage, its seen off many an r1 in its time and hes never had any problems with it, if used all the time then possibly decrease engine life slightly, but storms are pretty solid so im sure it will be fine for occasional use :)
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

on a standard engine a wet 30% increase is generally considered the maximum safe increase.

but as we all know, 130hp in a storm is going to tear the cases in half so go for a bit lower.

i say wet because being carb fed, it would have to run rich as feck to get it to run and produce power on dry gas and the overall effect would be crap.

i say dont bother and if you after a twin with 130hp, go buy a TL
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

Id love a tlr but the storms so bloody reliable!!
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

so dont put n20 on it to make it less reliable :lol:
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

Ill see hmmm....
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

KarlosVTR wrote:so dont put n20 on it to make it less reliable :lol:
Thought the same thing, although I thought N2O cooled intake and running temps down?! Probably wrong :confused
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

no

the gas on its own is just nitrogen holding on to oxygen. the nitrogen is used as a calming gas to stop it going fecking insane in the combustion chamber when the gas is being being burned (not quite but im trying to simplify it). or else people will ask why not use pure O2. raw oxygen will give such a ferrocious burn that it will last seconds before a fatal end.

if your carbs dont deliver enough fuel for the N2O then you will be running seriously lean. loads of power but HYPER lean with it. so you have to comphensate for that by running very rich other times.

a wet kit overcomes that. combustion temps are down to acceptable levels because you are not doing anything more than effectively doubling (or so) the available air to burn (use) and giving the fuel to make use of it
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Try this.
It uses a system where not only NOS is injected, but also fuel, so there's normal fuelling when running normally, but hit the button and you get NOS and also more fuel, under pressure via a fuel pump.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Tec ... 8-SNOS.pdf

It'll be fine on any VTR with standard pistons and compression ratio, but I'd be tempted to check the head studs are properly torqued down.

Have fun........
:thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

Thats how i was planing to run it, use a fuel pump to run the extra fuel through, thats how my mate did it
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

the wet system will work well.

i done my dissertation on it so i know what im talking about here

the pistons and compression ratio are of no consequence here. using the wet system more so, increases power how? by increasing cylinder pressure.

im gonna round it out by saying bit too much power = busted engine cases. loads too much = bent con rods due to massive combustion pressures

just the right power = TLR hahaha
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I think I'd want to use a braced or replacement swingarm, and fit frame extenders to make the SA pivots do the work instead of the back of the crankcase castings.

Of course, you can just set it to give ten BHP boost, and keep it under 125 for safety, but that rather defeats the object, and expense, really.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.