Renegade exhaust fitting help.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StormingHonda

Renegade exhaust fitting help.

Post by StormingHonda »

Bought some Renegade high level exhausts from a guy in work and yes there were from his Firestorm and not an SP.

A friend and I got to the point of almost breaking something this weekend in frustration, these mother F# are proving very trying to fit.

Aparently the big bars go behind the fairing but the problem is the bolts that extend the footpegs hanger seem too long, there is also a couple of holes to be made on the undertray hmmmmmm, so that the short hangers can hang down and hold the exahusts on, non of this seems right.

HELP!!!!!!

I noticed my old storm had high levels.

spider13

Re: Renegade exhaust fitting help.

Post by spider13 »

the longer bars look sided to me,holes drilled at an angle so they sweep up slightly,i would fit them same as any other putting the long bars next to the subframe then putting the bolts through the hangers then onto the spacers then through the long bars and into the subframe,i dont see much use for the shorter ones unless he had them bolted to the subframe as reinforcement to the longer ones,when i did mine i just made some brackets that bolted to the subframe and pocked out the undertray

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu17 ... vel001.jpg

hope this helps in some way
steve :thumbup:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

When I put the long one next to the subframe, the long bolts seem too long, I dont want to force anything, thats the weird part, he did mention one of the smaller blades/holder ones being done like you said on one side.

Any help is appriciated.

also with the short blades, non of the bolts will go through, so it looks like new bolts if they are used.
spider13

Post by spider13 »

are you using the hangers aswell as shouldnt be to long then?
steve
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

yeah, still feel too long.
spider13

Post by spider13 »

ok how about cutting a wee bit off the bolts
steve
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep that's what I would do. With regards to nut and bolts just use whatever you think is best. Use/get your own, I have a big tin full of old nuts,bolts,washers, bits etc. If you got one too long and no shorter ones, then chop a bit off.

What I can't figure out is that out of the two long brackets, why is one shorter. :confused You have the two diagonal holes that obviously attach to the subframe mount. Stick the spacers over them and the original hanger, and bolt up. The two shorter ones maybe to extend rearwards or alter the angle of the can mounting hole height. Little extensions that go on the end. Or Drill a hole further rearwards along the subframe, have them hanging down and attaching with the hole on the longer bracket and bolt up to can strap.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

spider13 wrote:ok how about cutting a wee bit off the bolts
steve
apparently they fitted exactly how they are on the guys storm in work, so somehow it should all fit :lol:
First of all sorry they are proving to be difficult to fit. I also spent about an hour online last night, and half an hour this morning trying to see if i had any photos, but couldn't find anything.
It's been five years since I took them off, but working from memory, I think you need to cut a small hole in the undertray just big enough to fit the short strap through, it should come up under the rear seat. Can't remember exactly how, but it then screwed onto the sub frame. I think the can itself is fixed by connecting the long strap to the short one. If i remember correctly the strap round the can sits near the foot rest, and the long strap projects towards the rear of the bike.
This is the reply I got from him, I think he might come over and try and help.

Would be easier to have the same hanger bits as it had on my previous storm.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If i remember correctly the strap round the can sits near the foot rest, and the long strap projects towards the rear of the bike.
This bit does not make sense to me. The strap around the can (hanger strap) sits near the footpeg. If it's that close to the peg, 1 the balance of the can hanging would be off and 2 what's the long strap doing projecting to the rear if the strap is the other end. :confused

spider13

Post by spider13 »

id say that those long bars deffinatly held the cans on
ps iff of any use i have 2 of the scorpion brackets i think there the older style,ill take a pic in a bit and post it
steve
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I agree. I still don't know why one would be longer than the other though :confused after all, the subframe mounting is the same distance on both sides. So if ones shorter than the other the strap will be in a different place on each can. :lol:

spider13

Post by spider13 »

here we go

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu17 ... ers001.jpg

iff there any good to you pm me adress and ill send them
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Drill the rear sub frame put your hangers as hi as they can go easy peasy job done :thumbup:

I did that and stiff as a donkys bone on :shh: :lol:
Loud pipes save lives!
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

StormingHonda wrote:Image
Are your rear indicators on the wrong way round in this pic?
Vtrkidda wrote:Drill the rear sub frame put your hangers as hi as they can go easy peasy job done :thumbup:

I did that and stiff as a donkys bone on :shh: :lol:
I'm with kidda on this one!!!
Last edited by Snoogle on Wed May 09, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Seems to me that the two long straps extend rearwards beneath the tail plastic and run alongside the subframe.
The two short straps bolt onto the rearmost single bolt hole on the long strap (you don't have the bolts) and then drop vertically downwards,
The can strap would bolt to the lower hole on the short vertical straps.
Why they should be different lengths is a puzzle, though.

I'd suggest that before cutting the tail plastics or drilling holes in the subframe (not a good idea, really, but might, I suppose, prove necessary) you take off the tail plastic and test fit everything.
I have a feeling that the lengths are slightly different for clearance purposes; but clearing what, don't know until I saw them fitted.
The different lengths wouldn't be a problem if the vertical short lengths were used to compensate for this, one angles slightly forwards, the other slightly rearwards. You wouldn't be able to tell looking at them, as you can only see one side at a time.

PM'd. mate.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.