newbie vtr owner here - hello peeps

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
alternative_vtr

newbie vtr owner here - hello peeps

Post by alternative_vtr »

Hi everyone, I have been having a look on here for a few days and decided to register. Hello all :D I have bought a VTR I pick it up at the end of the week, I have not had a road bike since last April so itching to ride my new bike. I have orderd a pair of manual CCT's and hope to swap them myself unless it frightens me too much. If I am too scared maybe I can pay someone clever off here to do it for me :wink: I work Saturdays otherwise I would go to the Midlands workshop day on Saturday - what a great idea though. Anyway great forum, glad to be here.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
Kev L

Re: newbie vtr owner here - hello peeps

Post by Kev L »

Welcome along mate. Why not stick your location in your profile so people nearby can volunteer to give you a hand.
Have a good read through the workshop sticky on CCT's - http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326
By the way you may need to change your login to No Alternative to VTR's!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

hello and welcome .
at least you got the knowledge before yo got the bike .
keep reading the info on here as most of it is good and the rest is great .
lots of info on modding it to get it just how you want it
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Thanks, I am in the East Midlands but dont mind travelling a bit to someones house if they are kind enough to help me for a few quid. I have been reading up on the CCT posts but finding correct TDC and correct finger tightness are a couple of things bothering me. I would rather bung someone a few quid and know its right. It seems that the camchain tensioners are the only issue with VTR's. Although an older bike mine is low mileage and really nice so I would rather do the CCT's before there are any issues then I can rest knowing the bikes all good.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The reg/rec is another point of concern on older bikes. You might want to swap it for a later model, with cooling fins, or a Yamaha unit is a popular alternative.
Other than that it's just a matter of playing and modifying to suit you.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy

The cct change is really simple, just make sure you have someone on the end of the phone for moral support when you are sure you are doing it correct but just want to check :?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1 on that.

Welcome to the madhouse forum of storms. Well done for searching the knowlagebase. :thumbup:

Unless you have changed a few cct's I would not go by finger tightness. The rear cylinder cover would be off so you can measure the play in the chain. But I would advice taking the extra time and removing the front cover as well. :wink:

Stick some pics up of the bike when you get it. :thumbup:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard alternative_vtr :thumbup:

Chris.