Second Impressions

General Bike chat
mr.john.coates

Second Impressions

Post by mr.john.coates »

Thought you might like to know how I'm getting along.

I've had the Storm 3-1/2 weeks now and been on a few 60-odd mile trips to get the feel of it, scrub in a new rear, and get the brake/clutch and gear levers set up to suit me.

I then went out on Sunday for the Bottesford Air Ambulance run (...if you ever need them, it's nice to know you've paid!). This was about 230 miles round trip, from 9:00am to 6:00pm. It was very mixed riding, slow and gear-changey, stop start stuff followed by a hoon around for the last 100 miles home from Skegness.

- butt hurt, need more padding for a full day out, might get an inflatable thing.
- General riding position fine, even for an old git.
- Hands ok, no loss of feeling.
- Bike great ! - She roars!
- Clutch was hard work, and changes were ragged at the end.I think the lever is rotated too far around the bar. I will move it to make it in line with my hand.
- Economy was good, but jeez I need more capacity. Starting to think about auxillary tanks on the back...
- Had really heavy downpour but it still felt sure-footed in the wet.

Did it put a smile on my face - :D :D :D

Things I need:
- Heated grips for when it's a bit cooler
- Some luggage
- Hugger
- Huge tank

Any suggestions or offers welcome.

John
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed
Stratman

Re: Second Impressions

Post by Stratman »

Personally I've never found the seat uncomfortable on the Storm.

You kind of get used to the small tank and filling up a bit more often, though for touring abroad it is a pain.

Clutch should be very light - in fact of all the bikes I've tried the Storm has about the lightest.

Had mine 12 years + now :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

marravtr

Post by marravtr »

mr.john.coates wrote:Thought you might like to know how I'm getting along.

I've had the Storm 3-1/2 weeks now and been on a few 60-odd mile trips to get the feel of it, scrub in a new rear, and get the brake/clutch and gear levers set up to suit me.

I then went out on Sunday for the Bottesford Air Ambulance run (...if you ever need them, it's nice to know you've paid!). This was about 230 miles round trip, from 9:00am to 6:00pm. It was very mixed riding, slow and gear-changey, stop start stuff followed by a hoon around for the last 100 miles home from Skegness.

- butt hurt, need more padding for a full day out, might get an inflatable thing.
- General riding position fine, even for an old git.
- Hands ok, no loss of feeling.
- Bike great ! - She roars!
- Clutch was hard work, and changes were ragged at the end.I think the lever is rotated too far around the bar. I will move it to make it in line with my hand.
- Economy was good, but jeez I need more capacity. Starting to think about auxillary tanks on the back...
- Had really heavy downpour but it still felt sure-footed in the wet.

Did it put a smile on my face - :D :D :D

Things I need:
- Heated grips for when it's a bit cooler
- Some luggage
- Hugger
- Huge tank

John
heated grips are a must! had them the last 5yrs on every bike ive had (oxford 2 heat settings)

making my own brackets for the givi wingrack, will post some pics when done :wink:

pyramid huggers are the best imo

huge tank, mines 19lt and when thats ran out im ready for a fag break! :D
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
chric

Post by chric »

my clutch is proper tight good job i have big arms
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Rob

Post by Rob »

You will get used to the seat.

Have no problems on the 'Storm now, but my Griso with a huge padded seat in comparison makes my butt numb. Maybe the vibration.

Clutch stiff? Don't use it :thumbup: (OK, banging it down in the wet you might lock up the back wheel :shh: )

But it really shouldn't be stiff. Change the fluid and take of the actuator and clean/grease it up.

Heated grips - definitely. Used mine this morning at 5am. Wire them up through a relay that is activated when the ignition is on. I didn't when I first fitted them and left them on. Oxford say they will turn off before the battery gets to low to start - baldrocks, mine wouldn't had to jump it. Maybe because it's a big twin and hard on batteries?
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mr.john.coates wrote:

John
Hi John, I think with organised runs like the one you've just been on will make most clutches feel heavy after so much lever action of clutch-in clutch out, hold lever in etc etc. I'd see how you find it when on normal rides out. I don't find it heavy normally going on,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

But it really shouldn't be stiff. Change the fluid and take of the actuator and clean/grease it up.
+1 Mine used to be a bit stiff until I fitted braided lines, new shortey levers and changed and bled fluid. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside