Fork brace

General Bike chat
templ8

Fork brace

Post by templ8 »

Been given a telefix fork brace by my dad, it used to be fitted to his 97 cbr1000.

Does anybody know if it'll fit the storm ?

I'd go and try it right now but its bloody heaving down as usual !
templ8

Re: Fork brace

Post by templ8 »

Managed to get out between rain showers and can confirm that it does fit :-)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I take it that is on the standard 41mm forks. It should make a difference to stability. Get some pics up when you get a chance, be nice to see how it looks. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Yes that's on original 41mm forks.

I have a pic but its come out crap and makes the bike look pink !

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hope your sag is set right as it might touch the bottom yoke if not !!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hope your sag is set right as it might touch the bottom yoke if not !!!
Good point

Looks OK, not as blingy as a coerce but it serves a purpose and it was free so all good. :thumbup: I wonder what the slit in the left hand side (as I look at pic) is all about. I'm not sure it is designed to attach to the fork Stanchions. I thought a fork brace was supposed to attach to the main legs below the dust seals.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydie, I think the clearance will be OK, as the normal plastic shields sit taller than that.

carl, the slit is to allow the 2 sides to be adjustable for subtle tolerance variations beyween fork legs
AMcQ
twist

Post by twist »

not too sure if it's an issue with the VTR but I'd be very concerned with fork stiction using fork braces. Easy to check. Lift up on front end and let it go down again. Forks should return to same position smoothly. Push down and pump several times, should return to same position smoothly. If you have a dial gauge you can check to see if the forks are same width apart top and bottom. Measure using dial gauge from bottom yolk to above the sliders. Should be the same. You will need the sliders off to check for parallel. With sliders off, use a plate of glass on the fork stanchions to check, if the glass rocks corner to corner the forks are out of alignment. The bike can be dangerous if fork stiction is present, it will feel like a jack hammer and will be troublesome in curves. Be careful when installing fork braces. Everything needs to be in perfect alignment.
rob...

Post by rob... »

twist wrote:not too sure if it's an issue with the VTR but I'd be very concerned with fork stiction using fork braces.
if there was a problem with fork braces, you wouldn't be able to buy them in the states, because of their lunatic compensation culture. you can. they're fine.
twist wrote: Easy to check. Lift up on front end and let it go down again. Forks should return to same position smoothly. Push down and pump several times, should return to same position smoothly. If you have a dial gauge you can check to see if the forks are same width apart top and bottom. Measure using dial gauge from bottom yolk to above the sliders. Should be the same.
a dial gauge is used for checking run out,
if you're giving people advice, please use the correct terminology, ta.
twist wrote: You will need the sliders off to check for parallel. With sliders off, use a plate of glass on the fork stanchions to check, if the glass rocks corner to corner the forks are out of alignment.
is it just me who thinks this is all getting a bit too anal??????
twist wrote:The bike can be dangerous if fork stiction is present, it will feel like a jack hammer and will be troublesome in curves. Be careful when installing fork braces. Everything needs to be in perfect alignment.
you wanna check the tolerances on the stuff coming out of japan.......
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'd have thought it should be fine, unless when installing it the clamp is clearly pulling the forks out of their existing position.
If so you could try supporting the bike and loosening all of the clamp bolts when installing it, then rotating each stanchion to see if there is any resistance.

But I'd be just fitting them, riding it, and seeing how it felt, tbh, if they seem to fit ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Managed a quick run out before the rain again, can't feel much of a difference although on bumpy corners it feels a bit more stable.

Can't say I'd be happy if I'd paid full price for it but as a freebie it's a winner.

The slit you can see is down to the central brace being in 2 halfs, bolted together at the back.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/netalogue/conten ... FBTFBK.jpg
Last edited by templ8 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

templ8 wrote:h on bumpy corners it feels a bit more stable.
Then it's doing what it's meant to.
Result!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

please use the correct terminology, ta.
rob he's Californian, they fill they vehicles with gas and their crisps are chips. :lol: :lol: TBH It all did not make sense to me, I thought twist may have been getting confused with setting up static sag. :roll:
The slit you can see is down to the central brace being in 2 halfs, bolted together at the back.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/netalogue/conten ... FBTFBK.jpg
Thanks for the link that makes total sense now. :thumbup: Sounds like it's working. It's when hard cornering where you should notice a bit more stability.