front discs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattoo

front discs

Post by tattoo »

due to the pain,the lack of grip and an impending op to to kill my right hand i'm looking into swapping the controls(brake lever) from the right bar to the left but before i splash out £1000+ that i don't really have for a dual lever system i thought i'd a question about an option i've been given.

i was told i could run a single front disc and link it to the rear brake lever and use a brake bias adjuster thats commonly used on rally/sprint cars..

will a single disc be enough to brake effectivly/safely?
will it pull to one side when braking?
would i be better keeping twin disc setup and upgrading to CBR calipers and linking them then linking into the rear,i think the blackbird uses this configuration

thanks
VTRDark

Re: front discs

Post by VTRDark »

You should get in touch with these people NAPD http://www.nabd.org.uk/index.htm as they may be able to suggest some kind of set up that may be of use to you. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You could just use one disc and it wouldn't pull to one side .
The down side is you will have a lot less braking force to stop the bike .and that would be even more so if you only use a rear brake master cylinder and link the front and rear as the rear m/c is small and not meant to operate the front brakes .
How about swapping the front brake and clutch over . The clutch is a smaller m/c but if its only operating one calliper it might be ok .
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Doesn't the vfr have a dual braking system (it does :-)) could you not adopt it to suit yours mate?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Doesn't the vfr have a dual braking system
It does. It would a complex system to set up on a vtr though. But it don't solve his problem of having to squeeze the brake with his hand.

I may be wrong but I think on the vfr if you apply pressure to the rear brake the larger percentage of pressure gets applied to the rear with little on the front. Don't now the exact percentages but something like 70 rear 30 front. Where as if you only pulled the front brake it is reversed with more on the front with a little rear.

scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

I see, I would be handy (excuse the pun) to have the brake peddle on the right foot but front biased, as if the foot peddle directly replaces the right hand lever, if that makes sense?
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

carl..i've looked on the NABD website and i could get the adaption(dual levers) through their grant system but doesn't guarantee i'll get it.

i have thought about moving the rear brake onto a bar mounted thumb break and finding a larger mc for the rear peddle and using it solely to operate the front breaks but as yet i haven't found any specs so i can compare rear mc's to front mc's to get as close a match as i can,maybe it's me not looking in the right places though

more searching needed i think
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

They're "brakes" by the way. "Break" is when something's just broken ;).

There's spec for the front master cylinder in the workshop section.

What if you put just a massive master cylinder on the front so that you didn't need to squeeze that hard to make them move?
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Xenocide wrote:What if you put just a massive master cylinder on the front so that you didn't need to squeeze that hard to make them move?
that would be a smaller master cyl that you need to reduce the force, a big one just moves more fluid but at a lower pressure...... CBR600F4 calipers [they have a bigger piston area] with a standard master cyl will give you that effect and stronger brakes so you get a double benifit. The down side is the lever travel will be longer.

The std front master cyl is a 14mm diameter and i think the rear is about the same, so it might be possible to run the fronts off the back, but the pedal travel will be at least 5 times longer to move enough fluid to make all the pistons move.
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They're "brakes" by the way. "Break" is when something's just broken ;).
:lol: :lol: :lol: There endith our English lesson for today. Now go to the back of the class and write "though shall not break my brake" 500 times. :lol:

Rob

Post by Rob »

Or say out loud 50 times, without a mistake:-

A bloke's back brake block broke. :lol:

BTW it's endeth. :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

thanks for the English lesson but typing with my left hand when i'm right handed is still alien,give it a try..

am i right in thinking that a smaller rear mc would give me less pedal travel but would a smaller mc have enough pressure to operate both front calipers.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

A larger master cyl would be needed to move more fluid and to make less pedal travel,.

Good news is you can apply more force with your foot than your hand, but bad news is you have less feel so you need to get the balance right.

Or fit a servo :D
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Or fit a servo
Power assisted brakes I like it. :thumbup:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I wonder if you can swap to the blackbird linked setup fairly easily?
There's enough BB owners de-linking their brakes, so maybe a swap over could be arranged......

Not sure what parts you'd need to swap, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.