Depression is .......

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Wobbly Hombre

Depression is .......

Post by Wobbly Hombre »

Hello one and all, my name is Skip i've been riding for nigh on 40 yrs on and off road. I have 5 other bikes in various states of ... "off the road atm", so I just bought myself a '99 yellow one with 18k on it last week-end. Wonderful machine to blast those blues away with :D . I have used exactly 1 tank full of the precious liquid, filled up again yesterday to go for a proper ride ...... when ....... 6 miles down the road the Cam Chain Tensioner did the wild thing :cry: Absolutely gutted. It was on my to do list .... the first having been done (new front tyre). Went spannering today and converted the old cct into a manual one and found out that the chain jumped the cogs + maybe bent some hardware :cry: So more spannering next week .... just can't stomach any more today.
I also play guitar ..... strangely enough blues.
This is my other road bike ... its a heavily modified (both inside the engine and externally) Benelli sex pot she's called Grace and we've been together for 16 years now:
VTRDark

Re: Depression is .......

Post by VTRDark »

With a name like skip you must be an aussie. :) Welcome to the forum. :beer: :beer:

That's rather unfortunate that your tensioners failed just after getting the bike. Plenty of info on the forum regarding tensioners. Have a look through the workshop knowlagbase. You will find info on setting the timing in there. Better to use that guide as there are some manuals on the market that have got it wrong with detrimental effects. Lets hope you are lucky and the valves have not bent. Should be a simple swap of tensioners then.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum skip, sorry to here about the dreaded cct failure, have a good butchers at the workshop section, it sounds like your handy with the spanners, so you won't be off the road for long.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Good choice of bike mate, welcome to the club. Hope you resolve your issues quickly and can get on with enjoying it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Grace looks like the dogs bollox :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the cam tensioners, you will need to take the head off and likley you will have bent a valve or 2 :(
AMcQ
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Best colour choice aswell!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
Skaltar

Post by Skaltar »

Hi,

Nice music on your you tube vid. Sorry to hear about you mishap hope its an easy repair for you.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stick with it as you'll be rewarded in the long run once you're back up and running.

Bung one of these on to remove another weak point, post your location on your profile and post some pics of your storm beasty!

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 90#p230376

Like the Benelli - not generally keen on customs but you've kept yours looking like it will still be fun on the open road
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I just watched you video. I love that Benelli what a beast. It looks a bit small for you though :lol:

Wobbly Hombre

Post by Wobbly Hombre »

Hey guys , thanks for all the replies. Great to be among like minded fellows :clap: (I was in the Benelli owners club for a year , er ... not standard ,, nuff said ?) I don't know how to reply to each comment, so i'll write a general points bullittinnnnnnn.
The VTR needs chain & sprockets + steeringhead bearings. Next on the list was cct's. So now i'm in stress mode as to what i will find when i lift the head. Budget out the window (like normal :lol: ). I haven't checked the reg/rec yet, took me 5 years to sort out Graces electrics (bloody nightmare) and get them reliable. Done now tho' :clap:
I like the Yellow colour , but tbh it was just luck of the draw ..... it could have been a black one or a silver one just depended on the deal at the time.
And oh, i'm not an Aussie. I come from the heart of Dorset , where the roads are made for Grace ( or did i make her for them, i forget :D )
I'm not too big for Grace (i'm 5' 9") i built her that way ....she's Italian and petite, and is quicker than my old std xjr , handles like she's on rails and sings like a diva.
The xjr went a few years ago, and i wanted something different as Grace's counterpart. So it had to be either a single or a v-twin. After much research and hours or dayz and weeks on ebay,gumtree and otherz i found one. Even read a lot of posts on here before buying, so i knew what i was getting. Just didn't expext the SHTF moment to happen within 100 mile of getting the old beast. But i'm in love and she will perform again. :beer:
Now i've written a chuffin novel .
Time to go.
Later guys , and thanks once again for the welcome .......
darkember

Post by darkember »

Welcome:)
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:With a name like skip you must be an aussie. :) Welcome to the forum. :beer: :beer:

That's rather unfortunate that your tensioners failed just after getting the bike. Plenty of info on the forum regarding tensioners. Have a look through the workshop knowlagbase. You will find info on setting the timing in there. Better to use that guide as there are some manuals on the market that have got it wrong with detrimental effects. Lets hope you are lucky and the valves have not bent. Should be a simple swap of tensioners then.

Manuals being the book kind, not the tensioners ??
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks lee, yes I should have made that clearer. Workshop manual (Haynes) is was what I meant.

Skip before you rush into tearing the head off you may want to check whether there is valve damage by following the method at the bottom of this recent post http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 44#p230369 Accept for if it's the front your checking the timing will be FT and the cam lobes will be upwards and outwards. You never know and you may have got lucky.

Some links regarding the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCT's)
You can either go for the stop mod View Topic http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416 Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.
Or
You go for the full manual conversion, your options are here http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

No XXXX :beer: jokes for you then. :wink:

Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy