Iron Lady

General Biker Banter
NHSH

Iron Lady

Post by NHSH »

Sorry to hear she is gone, always thought she was one of the greatest women to ever rule a country.
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
Wicky

Re: Iron Lady

Post by Wicky »

Google "Poll Tax and Riots" which thankfully bought about her downfall.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

She was the closest thing I hope Great Britain ever gets to having a dictator, I was only very young when her term, our sentence, as PM came to an end yet can clearly see the destruction she caused in the mining towns me and my family originate from

She was a stereo-typical example of a conservative politician, wombles marvelous if your an upper-class wealthy individual, disasterous if your anything else.
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

She was the closest thing I hope Great Britain ever gets to having a dictator
We are living more in a dictatorship now than then, with all the CCTV, less freedom of speech. You can't even take a photo around Westminster without being approached by a copper and searched on the grounds of anti terrorism unless your dressed like a tourist. etc etc. At the end of the day 99% of politicians are not going to be good for the public. There's always going to be pros and cons and you can't please everyone.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:
She was the closest thing I hope Great Britain ever gets to having a dictator
We are living more in a dictatorship now than then, with all the CCTV, less freedom of speech. You can't even take a photo around Westminster without being approached by a copper and searched on the grounds of anti terrorism unless your dressed like a tourist. etc etc. At the end of the day 99% of politicians are not going to be good for the public. There's always going to be pros and cons and you can't please everyone.

Are you that 1% that would be good then? :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
NHSH

Post by NHSH »

Interesting responses, I was under the impression she was good leader for the UK policies internationally and at home :confused At list that's what in most other counties they advertised.
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Her policies were only possible on the back of horrendous unemployment (unprecedented level of 3 million) and social problems (recession, poll tax, culling industry), for which she had little regard. The Tories sensing they were unelectable under her leadership unceremoniously dumped her.

For a taste of what life was like under her I recommend the series 'Boys from the Blackstuff' which gave 'gizza job' as a phrase for the those times...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_from_the_Blackstuff

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Virt

Post by Virt »

Wasn't even alive at any point of her reign. I can only go with what I hear of it, either way her death is quite sad. Don't see the point in holding a grudge after death, it's the biggest form of closure there is for these matters.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

callam_nffc wrote:She was the closest thing I hope Great Britain ever gets to having a dictator, I was only very young when her term, our sentence, as PM came to an end yet can clearly see the destruction she caused in the mining towns me and my family originate from

She was a stereo-typical example of a conservative politician, wombles marvelous if your an upper-class wealthy individual, disasterous if your anything else.
But she wasn't upper class - far from it.

Virt - I think you are right.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Are you that 1% that would be good then?
You have got to be joking. The people would not like me as a PM with some of the things i would do to get things back on their feet. My policy would be cruel to be kind in the long run. :roll:

==============================Enter the Darkside
silver storm

Post by silver storm »

Im from Scotland and we all hate her here after what she done with the poll tax mining and the steel industry on top of that she has blood on her hands with what she done to the General Belgrano.
Stevie
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

cybercarl wrote:
Are you that 1% that would be good then?
You have got to be joking. The people would not like me as a PM with some of the things i would do to get things back on their feet. My policy would be cruel to be kind in the long run. :roll:

Totally agree. I would have let the miners carry on working and had them drop poisonous gas down there with them. Would have solved the problem pretty quickly, and would solve our problems now, including the massive amount this country spends on child benefit to all the folk with nothing else to do but breed.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

silver storm wrote:Im from Scotland and we all hate her here after what she done with the poll tax mining and the steel industry on top of that she has blood on her hands with what she done to the General Belgrano.
Stevie
Couldn't agree more mate

I read this earlier which I thought put things into perspective for people who have no idea what it is like to live or grow up in a town which was effected by thatcher

I actually care much less than I thought.....she faded like an old bully from your school days into someone who sometimes clouds your dreams from another life time, someone who once dominated your life but is now a ghost. I was a young boy when she ruled with an Iron hand. There was no room for compromise or sympathy...I used to feel like we were under attack..on TV, in the papers...people often say their childhood memories are of sunny days mine are of winter nights lit with the orange fizz of street lights and kicking a ball with the boys. Pretty much everyone hated her where I came from. It was like breathing to us. We had 6 pits employing over 11,000 people in the Merthyr borough alone..all smashed within a year of the strike. Economic they told us...not political...no coal left and too expensive to get out!! 30 years later and they've opened the top of the mountain where I come from and they're taking it out in tonnage like you wouldn't believe. She lied. She hated us. The people of South Wales. We were unionised, we all knew one another, no one cared who was rich...we were all in the same boat really so it didn't matter. You see...she told us there was no such thing as society when we were living lives where we walked into one another's houses and called out mothers friends 'auntie' and went on holiday en mass together. So she went about the systematic destruction of our way of life..being rich become good...having a house a must...suddenly there was mass unemployment with no chance of work...and the culture of despair set in..something we are still fighting. So I won't be lamenting the passing of a great politician today...or a great woman...I'll ignore all the sycophantic nonsense spewing from the media tonight...because I am from Merthyr Tydfil and I am not Thatchers child as they call our generation..and I'll go to my grave being a Valley boy who saw first hand what she did to my people.
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

not one more politician will ever be as strong as she was, maybe thats a good thing or a bad thing but now we are destined for joint leaders who are both bloody useless and just blame each other. i rode faster, longer and without restrictions when she was in, lets see whats happening in 10 years time guys, camera,everywhere, low BHp bikes and expensive fuel
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

silver storm wrote:Im from Scotland and we all hate her here after what she done with the poll tax mining and the steel industry on top of that she has blood on her hands with what she done to the General Belgrano.
Stevie
Ah yes, the General Belgrano, full of those peace loving Argentinians out for a little cruise.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!