Let the games begin

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Shauned71

Let the games begin

Post by Shauned71 »

Haven't actually done anything to my bike as of yet.. so here's a pic before I start pulling her about. Gonna give her a quick spruce up for this summer and then if all is well with the bike will do a proper job in the winter for next summer.

Shauned71

Re: Let the games begin

Post by Shauned71 »

Just realised my first post here wasnt quite true.. had taken indicators and f/mudguard off bike before pic was taken. Few weeks ago was changing front tyre, while removing wheel nudged the mudguard and it split about 3 inches on the one side. Once rubbed it down I found it had been patched up with fibre glass and filler and was hiding a split which went about 3/4's the way across from one side to the other.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Shauned71 wrote:Just realised my first post here wasnt quite true.. had taken indicators and f/mudguard off bike before pic was taken. Few weeks ago was changing front tyre, while removing wheel nudged the mudguard and it split about 3 inches on the one side. Once rubbed it down I found it had been patched up with fibre glass and filler and was hiding a split which went about 3/4's the way across from one side to the other.
thats a bit worrying as to what else has been patched up, as you said, give it a good going over, fingers crossed you won't find anything serious.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Oh sh1t that would of been a big off to have done that !
Strip that bike and give it a good going over !
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Yea.. somehow think I probably will find a few other hidden repairs. I have a high spot on the fuel tank to the right of the fuel cap so know there is something wrong there. Side fairings seem pretty good, tail piece has a lug snapped off underneath so it's a bit wibberly wobberly. Bike rides nice but has the tell tale signs of a spill although i don't believe it to be anything too horrendous. Need to remove panels and get all the paint off so i can see what's lurking underneath, first things first want to make my mind up on a colour for the bike before I take it apart.

Mudguard is coming along though, at least now it should stay in one piece :wink:

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Quite a restoration! Hopefully you won't find too many more horrors lurking underneath the paint

You might want to keep an eye on this more intact one > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Firestorm-Fro ... 4ac3c5d55b
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Virt

Post by Virt »

Looking for a colour? Matte black is the way to go :thumbup:

I'd be a bit worried going on a bike that had things like that hidden from me. Good luck finding and solving all the problems :D
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

I'm going to dig a bit deeper today and tomorrow... will get sanding and see what else is under the paint. I'm not too worried about her though... bike runs fine and straight, no wobbles if I take my hands off the bars etc have had one decent ride on her which was a nice blast down the M4 to M&P Direct in Swansea then came back home via the Brecon Beacons, plenty of twisties up there... rode like a charm. Don't mind sorting out the body work, that's the cheap part for me so wont add too many £££'s to the cost overall of making a tidy bike although I should really of bought a mudguard but being honest as money is isn't great at the mo i'm being tight lol
Must say I do like your bike in matt, or is it satin black? looks nice though. Had considered going that route myself simply out of ease and it be quicker but I think for now the bike is going to white.. I'm just doing a quick job at the mo to tidy her up for the summer, going white the bike will look clean and fresh for now and then come winter if i decide to go for something a bit more outrageous then I have a nice neutral colour to paint over.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Shauned71 wrote:Must say I do like your bike in matt, or is it satin black? looks nice though. Had considered going that route myself simply out of ease and it be quicker but I think for now the bike is going to white.. I'm just doing a quick job at the mo to tidy her up for the summer, going white the bike will look clean and fresh for now and then come winter if i decide to go for something a bit more outrageous then I have a nice neutral colour to paint over.
Matte. It's similiar to the gloss black except it doesn't have the wax or whatever over it to protect it ( I thinks ), which is what makes it shiny. Very dangerous colour :lol: Have you seen whitestorm pete's one then? They do look very nice in white, however you'll never want to ride it for fear of any spec of dirt showing up so clearly :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Yea, seen the white one... looks nice. At the moment for me it's between white - Audi Abyss white, just about the brightest white about right now, black - nice honda pearl colour I know of which has a red/purple fleck in it, yellow - I like the BMW(car) Dakar yellow and at the mo I have a drop of a very nice, rich deep pearl blue metallic which I bought to use on a mates bike that I'm repainting (red and blue stripes over white), can't remember what the colour is exactly though.... but i keep coming back to the white simply because if i do pull her of the road for a winter project then i got an nice neutral base to work with and chances are wont need to reprime etc. Decisions decisions :lol:
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Where abouts are you in the world, bud?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

another plus to white paint work is if you want a little bid of added colour you could always buy the castrol sticker/decal kit for it. one of the best looking race reps ever imho. and come winter just peel it off and paint over the white, i still believe white looks its best when the frame work is satin black. like bennys bike.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Eclectic wrote:Where abouts are you in the world, bud?
I'm in Cardiff mate.

Between busy and bad back still bugging me haven't had much time for the bike but did finally make a start late afternoon today.. Pulled off the panels and had a good look around. I knew that there had been a repair on the tank because whoever did it left the tank with a high spot so that needs repairing again, the rear panel, well thats a bit of a mess (see pics) plus the paint on it is awful.. bad as in it's like trying to rub down chewing gum. Someone in the past has gone a bit over board with the filler primers etc so probably will take as long to prep that panel as it will all the rest of them :lol: Front, sides and the little belly pan are all lovely.. as in no repairs other than a 10mm crack in one side panel that i did shortly after getting bike.

Point of no return now :wink:
I put the seat back on and repaired tank in place.. sitting on the job being lazy really...

Nasty tail piece.. Found a repair which had been done with fibreglass so set about removing the fibreglass in order to repair the panel properly, was expecting to find a fair size crack in the side.. found this instead.

Full steam ahead tomorrow.. see if I can get the lot in primer :P
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Will you be doing the painting yourself and what are you useing to repair holes like that if not fibreglass.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Yea.. gonna paint her myself. As for repairing the plastics.. recently after watching a few videos on youtube iv'e been having a go at plastic welding. For small repairs ie scratches and small holes im using a product called SMC by Upol Heres some details - http://www.refinishsystems.com/product/ ... fic-Filler. If anyone has used spreadable fibreglass in a tin, this is similar to use. Simply take what you need, add hardener, mix and spread like filler. This stuff is great, easy to use, easy to sand but it is made to stick to plastic and has a certain degree of flexibility to it once it has hardened off. Fibreglass is great stuff but it don't stick to plastic half as well as many folk think. To remove the big chunk of fibreglass from my panel I simply just flexed and bent the panel and the fibreglass just popped off clean. For my panel above though i will weld a piece of plastic in. I could just cut a piece of plastic to fit the hole but as im still a novice at the welding i will cut a piece a bit bigger than the hole and weld it on the inside of the panel and then use the SMC filler on the outside to finish off and bring panel to shape. I will try take some pics as I go and post them. I'm quite interested in new techniques and been having a bit of fun trying this out, makes a change from doing all the run of the mill stuff :P