Fresh blood....

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Bleh

Fresh blood....

Post by Bleh »

Hello, I'd like to introduce myself as tradition dictates for forum newbies...

For the sake of this forum, I am Bleh. Early thirties from south Wales with young family and just purchased my first VTR after years of wanting one and am quickly falling in love with it. Have ridden for many years and currently have a '95 CBR 600 Rat/Street-fighter as part of my Honda collection! My favorite bike owned to date has to be the mk1 TDM 850 (with some tasteful upgrades to made it that much sweeter) but think the VTR will make me consider re-writing the list.

The bike is a 2000 FY and COMPLETELY standard, has full service history AND even has its own toolkit :thumbup: (things like that raise eyebrows around this way), now it can be de-standardized by me :wink:

It has lived on a coastal area for the past few years and needs seeing to in one or two areas which will come in due course. Have already noted that headers are not in abundance (or anywhere at all for that matter!).

Anyway, hello again, it's been a pleasure introducing myself.
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
ging500

Re: Fresh blood....

Post by ging500 »

Welcome to the forum.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

The storm is a massively underrated bike and relatively a simple bike. Check the workshop knowledgebase and see that CCTs and R/R are suitably replaced and you'll have a fun, reliable partner that will serve you well for many moons.

Header pipes naturally look unsightly but they won't rot through (don't believe everything you read ;-) however the integral circular clamps can disintegrate after a few winters of salty roads and then you'll need to replace the headers. Also check the starter as it's mounted at the front where it catched all the crud. Look under the rubber hood for corrosion, and keep Vaselined up.

Thankfully the Storm was mostly unchanged from 1997 - 2005 so plenty of second-hand spares available if needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Vtr-100 ... 3cd7b3599b
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
shaggy-doo

Post by shaggy-doo »

hi and welcome in mate :)
Regards ian
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Welcome mate!

Where to are you from? I am in newport.

Matt
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club fella, :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

From sunny Swansea bud...

Thanks for the improvement tips, CCT's already in the pipe line, the rectifier seems to be in perfect working order (although I've probably jinxed it now!!!). Over the next few weeks, it'll have new air filter, plugs and carbs stripped and cleaned then balanced to as close to perfection as humanly possible.

Was considering spraying the headers with VHT paint (obviously) as I'm confident they're beyond retrieval. The sea air hasn't been the bikes best friend so need to show it some over due care and attention to make sure it'll last me years to come yet!

Thanks for the welcomes all...
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

the rectifier seems to be in perfect working order
All the early unfinned ones work perfectly fine until they unexpectedly fail cooking the battery and other leccy bits on the bike, usually in some god forsaken place miles from home after dark… That's why in 2001 Honda upgraded the R/R to a finned one. Best prempt the problem before it happens :-)

Last edited by Wicky on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Wicky wrote:
the rectifier seems to be in perfect working order
All the early unfinned ones work perfectly fine until they unexpectedly fail cooking the battery and other leccy bits on the bike, usually in some god forsaken place after dark… That's why in 2001 Honda upgraded the R/R to an unfinned one. Best prempt the problem before it happens :-)

Wicky's having a senior moment, he means finned one. Bless him!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I have shares in Honda's old R/R supplier ;)

darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome. Nice to see another in Wales :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome :-)
oorwullie43

Post by oorwullie43 »

Hello and welcome aboard! 8)
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Hi ya,

If you go ahead with doing the headers in VHT paint, let me know the results, considering the same :thumbup:

Rog
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

welcome to the house of fun :thumbup: