Torque Settings

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
darkember

Torque Settings

Post by darkember »

Cylinder head torques settings.

Need to know what the settings are for the two 6mm bolts are. Haynes only give the setting of 53NM for the six larger 10mm bolts & not the two 6mm bolts anybody know this??
leevtr

Re: Torque Settings

Post by leevtr »

darkember wrote:Cylinder head torques settings.

Need to know what the settings are for the two 6mm bolts are. Haynes only give the setting of 53NM for the six larger 10mm bolts & not the two 6mm bolts anybody know this??
Look in the manual. Its in the workshop knowledgebase
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
darkember

Post by darkember »

Found them I believe they are called cylinder head sealing bolts torque setting is 34NM about 24 Ftp :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

darkember wrote:Found them I believe they are called cylinder head sealing bolts torque setting is 34NM about 24 Ftp :thumbup:
Are you sure you've got that right? That sounds wrong to me for only 6mm bolts, far too much.

Chris.
darkember

Post by darkember »

sirch345 wrote:
darkember wrote:Found them I believe they are called cylinder head sealing bolts torque setting is 34NM about 24 Ftp :thumbup:
Are you sure you've got that right? That sounds wrong to me for only 6mm bolts, far too much.

Chris.
Ok you could be correct there. Looking over the genuine honda manual I cannot find any reference to the torque settings of these 6mm bolts it just says tighten the two 6mm bolts after having done the 10mm bolts to 53NM. Check page 8-18 in the manual.

In that case what are the 2 head sealing bolts then which are 12mm & need to be torqued to 32NM see page 1-11 under the section cylinder head/valve

Tony please clarify this thanks
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

They will be 7ftlb or 9 depending on weather the flange is large or small, should be torqued in inch pounds.
darkember

Post by darkember »

chris freckle wrote:They will be 7ftlb or 9 depending on weather the flange is large or small, should be torqued in inch pounds.
Baffled, what flange are you talking about? The two bolts I am talking about are in the head and are the two that need to be removed first before the six large ones are removed.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

darkember wrote:
chris freckle wrote:They will be 7ftlb or 9 depending on weather the flange is large or small, should be torqued in inch pounds.
Baffled, what flange are you talking about? The two bolts I am talking about are in the head and are the two that need to be removed first before the six large ones are removed.
If you look in the service manual, for bolts that aren't specifically mentioned, there are standard values for the type of bolt given in the start of the manual... M6 have one, M8 another, and the type of head, ie flanged or not, hex head or allen head also changes the torque in some cases...

So, if you find a bolt that has no specified value in that part of the manual, you are supposed to revert to those "standard values"... You'll find a few scattered around the manual...

Usually these are bolts that are torqued to a fairly low torque, and typically re-used, since higher torque means they might need replacing after a few uses, since that stretches the bolts... Basically, bolts that really can't go anywhere, and can't work themselves loose, or similar...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

Yeah wot Tweety said :)
darkember

Post by darkember »

Cool so its either a 6mm large flange or 6mm small flange making either 12 or 10 NM respectively. Humm which could it be without having a large & small next to each other to compare.
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

Given the tollerance of a torque wrench I would say 11nm, but I think its actually 10nm I seem to remember that the higher spec bolts with larger flanges are black. :think:
darkember

Post by darkember »

chris freckle wrote:Given the tollerance of a torque wrench I would say 11nm, but I think its actually 10nm I seem to remember that the higher spec bolts with larger flanges are black. :think:
11MN may be the way to go. All those that have removed the heads & I am sure there are many, must have torqued these bolts down :roll:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Small flange; the flange will just exceed the point of the hex.
Large flange: the flange is several mm wider than the hex

Both next to each other

and Large flange

Small Flange
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

I like a small Flange 8O
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wrong ones Erik I think darkember is referring to the two smaller bolts down the side inside the cam chain tunnel. I generally don't worry so much about a precise torque on smaller bolts like that and do them up by feel. Also put some threadlock on. Obviously the main head bolts should be done to a specific torque.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside