My First Vtr and i want to no about the headlight

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
robbie 131

My First Vtr and i want to no about the headlight

Post by robbie 131 »

evening all sorry for the stupidity but i have just purchased a vtr 1000f, please could i ask for advice. i wanted to know what the best way to upgrade my headlight was as its pretty yellow and dull.... cheers in advance for any advice ...... rob :D
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
Wicky

Re: My First Vtr and i want to no about the headlight

Post by Wicky »

Greetings.

Change the bulb to a 'colour' you like and fit an eager beaver relay kit

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/06/22/carrots-on-sticks/
Last edited by Wicky on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome :wave:

In all honesty the standard headlights are crap
robbie 131

Post by robbie 131 »

absolutely agree with you so not sure where to go with it .... and i have researched the beaver kits .... do i not have to change projectors ? ? ? cheers guys again
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

I haven’t ridden my Storm at night but it would have to be crap to be worse than the GSF1250S candle on the front of my Bandit :Ball Kick:
It’s bad enough playing dodge the kangaroo in daylight. I’m not about to play that game at night where I live and work :eek2
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

You can always make your own. All you need it some twin core cable, couple of relays, ceramic bulb holder and a load of spade terminals. Oh and shrink wrap. I made ny own. Works a treat, costs about the same as buying one from America apart from you don't have import tax. Use the loom with a standard bulb. No need to go to projector.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Ckennedy wrote:You can always make your own. All you need it some twin core cable, couple of relays, ceramic bulb holder and a load of spade terminals. Oh and shrink wrap. I made ny own. Works a treat, costs about the same as buying one from America apart from you don't have import tax. Use the loom with a standard bulb. No need to go to projector.
You just answered a question ticking over in my head Chris :roll: . Why dont I wire my own relays in :lol: but if the cost is similar then I'll see how short of time I am when the sun starts shining! May just buy one :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There's also cheaper Hong Kong specials but I can't find a single bulb version. :(
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-Headlight- ... 2a2c691d3f

Welcome to the forum robbie :beer: Yeh headlight is sh1t, changing the bulbs for some Philips xeons or equivalent will help some, especially if the currant bulbs are old and tired. Or you could go down the LED route.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... =headlight

For any real decent improvement you need to upgrade the voltage to the bulbs with a relay kit, Eastern Beaver or equivalent. You don't have to change anything else unless you go down the HID/projector route.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... =projector

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Costs pennies, all you need are two relays (Halfords four pin ones) a couple or rolls of decent cable, a ceramic H4 holder, and a decent bulb. Cheaper to buy the bulbs in sets of 2- you have one as a spare that way. One relay for high beam, one for dip. That way the switch isn't carrying extra load.
Relays can be mounted LH side of the headstock, either put them in a small case (Maplins) or cover in waterproof sheet to protect the terminals from road salt if you use that location; I try to keep the underseat area clear to put gloves in at race meets etc, but it's up to you. They will go under the tail plastics RH side, but it's heavier that way.

Crimp then solder every connection.

I use a 80/100, but then I don't run with headlights on all the time, just the sidelight with a bright blue LED, which gets you noticed. Never been pulled for lights at all.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

tony.mon wrote:Costs pennies, all you need are two relays (Halfords four pin ones) a couple or rolls of decent cable, a ceramic H4 holder, and a decent bulb. Cheaper to buy the bulbs in sets of 2- you have one as a spare that way. One relay for high beam, one for dip. That way the switch isn't carrying extra load.
Relays can be mounted LH side of the headstock, either put them in a small case (Maplins) or cover in waterproof sheet to protect the terminals from road salt if you use that location; I try to keep the underseat area clear to put gloves in at race meets etc, but it's up to you. They will go under the tail plastics RH side, but it's heavier that way.

I use a 80/100, but then I don't run with headlights on all the time, just the sidelight with a bright blue LED, which gets you noticed. Never been pulled for lights at all.

you are far too clever Tony.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
darkember

Post by darkember »

I believe Tweety from Sweden has done some mode which works well. If you do your own just remember to really upgrade the wiring otherwise you may have meldown at some point.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigtwinthing wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Costs pennies, all you need are two relays (Halfords four pin ones) a couple or rolls of decent cable, a ceramic H4 holder, and a decent bulb. Cheaper to buy the bulbs in sets of 2- you have one as a spare that way. One relay for high beam, one for dip. That way the switch isn't carrying extra load.

you are far too clever Tony.
Not so- I ran it for two years thinking that it was all a waste of time, then realised I had the terminals the wrong way round on the relays..... switched them and LOADS of light.....
robbie 131

Post by robbie 131 »

all i can say is thanks for all the help ... tony you are too clever .. unless there is pretty pictures for me to draw on with crayons, i wont understand lol .... i just sold honda shadow bobber that i built ground up and what a ball ache and fun thats was ... so i have decided to go with the beaver set lol but thanks guys for showing myself different methods for the future ! :D :D
robbie 131

Post by robbie 131 »

i was trying to post the pictures of my shadow i built to my lovely new vtr but bugger me if i no how to attach a photo and im 22 ... shameful
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

By the way, I never bothered for my own bike with a ceramic holder- I made sure that the connections were good in the standard one, cropped and soldered high-amp connections on and it's been fine with the 80/100 watt bulbs.