Exhaust options..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kurt999

Exhaust options..

Post by Kurt999 »

Hey all,

Can I get your opinion on this... I have a pair of Scorpion round carbon cans that were originally fitted to a Ducati 900ss (newer fuel injected type). So the bike was sold ages ago and I thought I'd fit the cans to my new Storm (when I pick it up on Tuesday). So I phoned Scorpion and asked if they could sell me the link pipes and I got the "Noooo sorry love to help but the pipes are dyno developed and will only work on a 900ss blah blah blah..."

Now I understand if it was a full system that would be the case, but cans...really?? And they want nearly 700 notes for a pair of Ti cans...

Pipewerx make cans under the Hawk brand for about 400

Sellers on the bay sell link pipes for 80

What's the consensus of opinion?

Thanks

Neil :-)
Insurance: Bennetts CH24823B Exp 21/07/17
Mot Exp: 22/05/2017
Tax Exp: TBA
lloydie

Re: Exhaust options..

Post by lloydie »

You can get link pipes made for £80 at different places .
Or buy them as is .
What's the inlet size of the cans ?
Virt

Post by Virt »

I run pipwerx cans..

Get them! Sound absolutely mint, although they're 480mm rather than 580mm.. So just a tad loud :lol: I think my bike was competing with Lloyd's on noise, when I had baffles and he didn't :wink:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep virts is stupid loud !! Unlike himself :-) and the measurements are off as mine are 480mm long and yours must 380mm !!!!
Virt

Post by Virt »

Oh sh1t yeah, either way they're an inch short! It's Sunday morning, cut me some slack :wink: :lol:

Sound proper gorgeous though!
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

I would buy some pipes now, but I'm trying to do the sensible mods first...MCCTs, reg/rec and have a budget to work to ie not a lot!! So I figure as I have these cans I would try to use them as I would like my bike to sound like a twin cyl sports bike and not a Deauville!! I'll measure the inlet size during the week-I don't have the cans here at the moment

And I'll need a jet kit and maybe a filter...

Neil

:-)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

No leave the standard filter in unless you get a jet kit and spend £200 on Dyno set up .
Have you thought about a bafflectomy on the standard exhaust ?
They do sound very good when done
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

I'd offload the Scorpions as 900SS cans and get a set of something else for the Storm. Options are endless.
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

I've just lost hours of my life to the internet researching jetting and filters. My conclusion is that for all the f-ing about and inconsistant results with K&Ns and suchlike I'm sticking with the standard air filter. A few washers to shim the standard needles and maybe new pilot jets and a carb balance and I think I'm good.

Re exhausts, I'm still undecided...I think I'll ebay my Duke cans and wait for some good condition high levels to come up on the bay

Cheers

Neil

:-)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My conclusion is that for all the f-ing about and inconsistant results with K&Ns and suchlike I'm sticking with the standard air filter. A few washers to shim the standard needles and maybe new pilot jets and a carb balance and I think I'm good.
Good decision for now :thumbup: It's very easy to rush into things with these bikes and spend money unnecessarily sometimes,

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside