Tank sticker conundrum.....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ltdslipdiff

Tank sticker conundrum.....

Post by ltdslipdiff »

Ok so here's the problem, tank re-sprayed now in Liquid Yellow metallic, but sprayer masked-off the sticker as it was original and laquered in place. As you can see by the pic the old yellow colour is still showing through! I was thinking of just covering the entire old sticker with maybe a silver or other one piece colour and then re-applying a new decal.

Any suggestions? What other colour would match the new? My Honda dealer tells me the sticker has to be slightly curved to allow for the undulating lines of the tank........

Also, whats the general consensus on frame polishing? Whats the best way to do it?

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself appear more photosynthesis
VTRDark

Re: Tank sticker conundrum.....

Post by VTRDark »

:eek2 That's not good, your sprayer should have noticed that and said something before applying it. Was it applied directly onto the base coat (colour) or onto the first coat of lacquer as it should be, so it can easily be removed and then re-lacquered if needs be.

Applying to the first coat of dried lacquer also gives one the chance to reposition it if needs be and give it a light dust coat of lacquer in case it reacts, therefore not ruining the base coat. It's easy to rub down lacquer and re-apply it.

As for polishing the frame, lots of hard work with wet n dry working through the grades from course to fine, then polish up to a high shine.

Oops just re-read you post and it's the original decal. It should have been removed first. :roll: get a different sprayer. The only thing I can think off apart from starting all over again is to either live with it or try and disguise it with something over the top. I'd be having words with the sprayer.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I would be getting the sprayer to spray over the old sticker while he still has the
paint match, then put a new official Honda sticker over the top and that will sit over the raised edge of the old sticker making it unnoticeable.

Another thought.... Did you get all the other panels sprayed as well? If not there is going to be a mismatch from the tank to the rest of the bike.

But as Carl said, your sprayer has made a schoolboy error and I wouldn't be paying him :(
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
Watty

Post by Watty »

AMCQ46 wrote:I would be getting the sprayer to spray over the old sticker while he still has the
Ain't match, then put a new official Honda sticker over thetop and that will sit over the raised edge of the old sticker making it unnoticeable.

Another thought.... Did you get all the other panels sprayed as well? If nit there is going to be a mismatch from the tank to the rest of the bike.

But as Carl said, your sprayer has made a schoolboy error and I wouldn't be paying him :(
+1 on not paying for that mate, unless you specifically asked for that to be done or the painter told you that would be happening! Sorry to be brutally honest but that is unproffesional :thumbdown:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

then put a new official Honda sticker over thetop
Can't do that as it's a custom colour. That's why there is a problem in the first place as genuine Honda stickers have the border colour of the original paint colour (notice it canary Yellow not the mustard yellow :wink: ) so the decals blend in better. You could trim the border off if you have a steady hand and sharp scalpel.

Aftermarket stickers would work as long as they don't have a border colour to them which most don't. But being aftermarket, there is more of a chance of getting a reaction with the paint/lacquer as the material quality is not always as good. So even more important to only apply them to the first dry coat of lacquer then spray light dust coats over the top to begin with and allow to dry, then go over with full coats of lacquer.

ltdslipdiff

Post by ltdslipdiff »

I suppose I better clarify in defense of the sprayer, he's a very good buddy of mine and we did discuss what to do with the sticker. And I'm not paying a lot for the job (and yes all the panels are re-done). He masked-off the sticker carefully rather than trying to get it off as it was laquered over. I'm thinking perhaps just painting over the existing sticker in matching liquid yellow and just getting a new sticker altogether.... Then again what would you guys think of a Superhawk sticker instead? May try something totally different seeing as its no longer original? The same bodywork guy is also doing wheels for me too so must post pics to show them too when completed. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!
Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself appear more photosynthesis
Watty

Post by Watty »

ltdslipdiff wrote:I suppose I better clarify in defense of the sprayer, he's a very good buddy of mine and we did discuss what to do with the sticker. And I'm not paying a lot for the job (and yes all the panels are re-done). He masked-off the sticker carefully rather than trying to get it off as it was laquered over. I'm thinking perhaps just painting over the existing sticker in matching liquid yellow and just getting a new sticker altogether.... Then again what would you guys think of a Superhawk sticker instead? May try something totally different seeing as its no longer original? The same bodywork guy is also doing wheels for me too so must post pics to show them too when completed. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!
One thing I will say is the finish looks very nice :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Mmmm Not done with much foresight.

Get the sticker off (warm it up with a hairdryer and used a wooden peg to help peel off) and start again if the spray guy is amenable.

Has he done the same to the decals on the fairing panels and tail?

Take the vector file to a vinyl sign makers and get them to make it up at whatever size & colour you want > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13333
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm thinking perhaps just painting over the existing sticker in matching liquid yellow and just getting a new sticker altogether....
That's most likely your best option, but if your going to do that then then the lacquer over the decal may as well be rubbed down as flush with the rest of it as possible, maybe even remove the decal as it will still show a difference in depth over the paint and may look strange with a different decal over the top. You may even have problems getting the decal to sit flush over the top of it if a different shape. Or paint over it and apply loads of coats of lacquer, rubbing down between each coat over the decal area little more than the rest of it and eventually it will be flush with the rest of it.

ltdslipdiff

Post by ltdslipdiff »

I was sensible enough to remove the other fairing stickers, they weren't laquered over, but the tank one was....

I'm gonna sleep on it anyways ! Whats good for polishing pipe? Exhaust pipe I mean ! It very grimy and discoloured (I swear I'll never get it back together at this rate !)

Thanks...
ltdslipdiff

Post by ltdslipdiff »

Updated pics ! Bespoke decals fitted...what do you all think?

Watty

Post by Watty »

ltdslipdiff wrote:Updated pics ! Bespoke decals fitted...what do you all think?

Looks tidier mate :thumbup: just don't spill petrol on the tank sticker or it'll lift it! It don't look lacquered :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
ltdslipdiff

Post by ltdslipdiff »

Hmmmm....might look at getting it laquered. Cheers mate!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good point about the Lacquer Watty same for the paintwork aswell if it's not petrol resistant lacquer. Looks much better. It might be the lighting in the pics but is a slightly different shade from the last colour?

ltdslipdiff

Post by ltdslipdiff »

I have one of those Bio Bulb energy saver daylight lights for the main light in the room and there is a bit of a blue tinge to it, I used the flash on the phone for these pics hence the slightly different shade..... Cybercarl have you a K+N filter for sale?