Caliper adaptability Guru's Needed!!!

General Bike chat
VTR stunter

Caliper adaptability Guru's Needed!!!

Post by VTR stunter »

I am curious if a set of Brembo calipers off a ducati 748,996,998 or six pod Tokico calipers off and 02 gixxer thou will fit on my standard Firestorm forks.

I am looking at a major upgrade in the braking area and am looking at all opinions.

I am sure they won't bolt straight on, so how do i go about getting em fitted. Photos of the exact calipers i'm interested in.

Thanks, and any info is appriciated 8)
STUNTRIDING IS NOT A CRIME

02 VTR Firestorm
03 Turbo Hayabusa
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I wouldn't put myself down as a guru but pretty much any caliper can be fitted to anything provided you have a suitable adapter plate made up

At this point my knowledge on this subject expires though :lol:

If you took the bike down to an engineering firm they should be able to measure it up and fabricate a mounting plate for you of the correct dimensions

Ben
VTR stunter

Post by VTR stunter »

Thanks Ben, I was reading about the cbr954 fork conversion thehazmatguy did on his storm..... very interesting and i'm thinking i'd like to do that way...

Anyone wanna buy a fork / front end assembly for a storm??? :roll:

02 VTR Firestorm
03 Turbo Hayabusa
Druid

Post by Druid »

I uprated the brakes on my VFR750 by fitting '95 Fireblade calipers (same as Firestorm calipers) I made up a mounting bracket in alloy, after making a card pattern. Not too dificult, but then I have access to a miller at work :)

Any engineering shop will be able to make up the calipers from a pattern or a drawing for a reasonable amount.

VTR stunter: Firestorm front ends were a sought after upgrade for VFRs (decent brakes and adjustable damping makes them much better than the originals) so you may want to advertise your forks to VFR owners.
VTR stunter

Post by VTR stunter »

Thanks Druid for the advice, Your adaptor looks neat...wll done.

02 VTR Firestorm
03 Turbo Hayabusa
W@zzA

calipers

Post by W@zzA »

Although visually the same apparently Blade calipers are different (presumably piston sizes) and are the first cheap upgrade for a Storm as they bolt straight on!

Warren
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

I read an article in an old "Bike" mag and it was reported that the brakes are identical to those fitted to the early Blade. So, other than aesthitics it's hardly worth changing them as they give more than enough real world stopping power as long as you fit decent pads.
And in another recent MCN article they tested OE discs against some serious competition and found them to be, on the whole, equal to almost all of them.
So we're all posers then!!! 8)
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Doesn't the size of the master cylinder etc also make a difference? Some time ago some people were on about fitting ZX6 master cyls. Would this really make a difference?
stormsmasher

Post by stormsmasher »

I used to have a set of Tociko 6 pots (GSXR 1000, ZX 9/12) fitted to my bike when I was running the Blade front end. They were fitted using Metmachex mounting plates.
I know they were made as a one off but companies like Metmachex or Spondon wll make you a set if you give them the front end plus new calipers to mate up.

I have also tried a few master cylinders combinations and the SP1 is a good unit to swap for good results.

If money is no option why not change the complete front end, you will get an amazing front brake and USD forks at the same time....if you take this route the best fitting solution is to have custom yokes made.

I have a 916 front end fitted the VTR at the moment but was equally pleased with my Mille set up on the Hornet and these can be had for less money.

Hope this helps......oh email me at daz.sear@ntlworld.com if you want to see a picture of the 6 pot mounting plates.