tailpiece removal

General Bike chat
grinner1969

tailpiece removal

Post by grinner1969 »

Hi all, anyone out there had this problem. Been stripping my bike down to do various jobs, come to take the rear tail plastic off, bugger me the allen bolts are turning but not coming undone, the bolt that sits inside the subframe is spinning. wonder what my options here would be? Was thinking of drilling a very small hole in the top of the subframe directly above said bolt and using a pin of some sort to hold it still whilst then undoing the allen bolt, my only concern here would be possibly weakening the subframe.
Would welcome any advice, thanks
Whoops, sorry, think I should posted this in the workshop not here
Last edited by grinner1969 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabiostar

Re: tailpiece removal

Post by fabiostar »

im in the same boats.... :(
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

fabiostar wrote:im in the same boats.... :(
Glad I am not on my own here :wave: , hopefully others have had and resolved the problem
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

Thanks wicky, very useful info :thumbup:
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Before you go cutting and drilling.... seat off... looking over the top of your seat panel you can see where the cage nut slightly protrudes from the sub-frame. Then.. ermmm hmmm hard to explain, will get a photo :lol:
you will need a punch and a hammer. brb :P
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

I know exactly where you are looking Shaun, you can actually see it moving when turning the allen bolt
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Finally got there... photobucket messing me about, everytime I uploaded a pic it came out upside down :crazy: Use a hammer and punch rather than a electrical tester :lol:
You are trying to catch both the frame and the lip of the cage nut at same time.... In from the right, straight down and then in from left.. on left punch hit it and hold it in there firm as poss.. try the bolt... you may get lucky, it worked for me in past.

grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

Think I get where you are coming from, presume what you are say is that the first 2 punches pinch the nut a little and then the last does the same but you are also holding onto with the punch itself for extra grip. Also some wd40 or the like wouldn't go a miss maybe?
Thanks Shaun will give it a go. One more thing, if it works, what would recommend to then hold the nut in place when re-fitting?
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Yea.. spot on mate... just trying to pinch the lip a bit and then hold it from the side. WD40 :thumbup: When I put the bolt back in I just cleaned it up nice, coated with grease and used a little spring washer but I didn't do it up too tight.
Only one thing... I suggested using a punch but that was more for a professional look :lol: I used a flat screwdriver on mine.. had to give it a fair tap but it did the job. One last thing.. if you get the bolt out.. you will see the thread is recessed, I took a large screwdriver and stuck it in the hole... wide driver mind so it only went in a mill or so and didn't get near the thread, and gave it a hit so to spread the sides of the cage out as if trying to oval the outer lip. That make sense? Good luck, hope it works.
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

yep makes sense, thanks for takin the time, will give it go. Will spray with WD to give it a chance to work while I do the steering bearings and hopefully will work
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days sir that worked a treat on mine , cheers
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

fabiostar wrote:happy days sir that worked a treat on mine , cheers

Excellent :thumbup: Glad i could help :D
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

Shauned71 wrote:
fabiostar wrote:happy days sir that worked a treat on mine , cheers

Excellent :thumbup: Glad i could help :D
Chuck a flamin duck, (good on ya fab), like I said earlier, I was gonna give it go today whilst fittin head bearings, well what a load of bloxxx that turned out to be. Will give more details on new thread.
Also will let you know how I go on (when I get round to it)
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Yea, let us know if it works... meanwhile.. I have just had another idea. Hmmmmm :think: Few people have asked about this problem.. maybe I will do a little write up and it can be made a sticky in the appropriate place.

Anyways... if my idea don't work out for you... there is a suggestion of drilling the bolt out. All well and good and done right will work but of course if it goes wrong or a drill snaps then it's just going to create more trouble.
Should you not be happy about drilling the bolt out... before you go taking an hacksaw to the frame... new idea :idea: Drill a small hole in the subframe directly above the cage nut, screw a decent self tapper in there and there's every chance that that will hold the cage allowing you to undo the bolt. Also on a plus note.. if that works then the self tapper can be shortened appropriately and left in there to keep the cage nut in place.