Tank grips.. removal ..

General Bike chat
Saintsman27

Tank grips.. removal ..

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi gang I have some old black plastic tank grips which are peeling a tad on my VTR .. they look a tad scruffy..
just in front of the seat ..they of course are the closest item to my nether regions and whilst perfectly comfortable
for me at this time I am conscious of the fact that at some future date I would like to remove these said pads
and affix new pads to the fuel tank ... what is the best way to remove these old pads and with what .. e.g.
steam , chemical treatments etc.... without doing or marking the paintwork on the tank any suggestions
taken onboard .. thanx guys :thumbup:
vtrjock

Re: Tank grips.. removal ..

Post by vtrjock »

Heated up from a hair dryer and very gentle leverage if they have become hard over time. I always use a panel wipe to remove any glue residue.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Glue and Tar remover :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

Had similar problem myself, just lightly sprayed wd and gently peeled off. Once the bulk was off, I then cleaned again with wd to get rid of all the sticky 5hit, then used 'muckoff' type cleaner after to remove the film that wd leaves behind. Now ready for new pad :thumbup:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

As people said.

Heat up with hair dryer and then use petrol to get off the residue however make sure you thoroughly clean the tank after as petrol will eventually it the paint work if left.
Saintsman27

the tattyRe: Tank grips.. removal ..

Post by Saintsman27 »

Thanx everyone .. well I got the job done , being a strong sort I just physically pulled
off the tatty one and then used tar/glue remover to see off the glue residue
by soaking and rubbing in and off with a dry cloth .. cleaned off with lighter fuel..
20 mins tops and I will fit the new grip after the postie brings it ... There are plenty to choose from
some are works of expensive art me thinks others not.... so I have gone for a similar
sized one as I removed :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

failing the hair drier id go down the chainsaw route :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: