hard wearing rear tyre choice

General Bike chat
chaz

hard wearing rear tyre choice

Post by chaz »

this young lad we know has just gone through a pair of Continental tyres in less than 3000 miles. as he lost his job can someone reccomend hard wearing/long lasting tyres for a storm as I will probably end up buying them and his mother paying me but needs to last longer than the conti's which I got at trade price
Watty

Re: hard wearing rear tyre choice

Post by Watty »

How will his mother be paying you 8O :lol: . Sorry :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

PR2's...I would say 3's but there''s not much difference between them and you can get the PR2's cheaper. Sounds to me like a bit of throttle control may be needed if going through tyres like that.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Avon storm 2 seem to be a fine choice
adyf

Post by adyf »

Yeah I'm with flatty Avon ultra 2 ,lasted well and I don't f**k about.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

This subject always gets me. People wanting cheap budget tyres for a high performance bike.

Everyone is happy to whack on expensive modifications, trick the bike out, deck it with all the latest technology, and then fail when it comes to tyres.

If he wants cheap tyres, I'd call up Cheng Shin and ask if they do tyres for the Storm.

It may take them a while to mould the plastic, but they should be good for 200,000 miles a set. (sorry, too sarcastic?)

I ran my 125s on Cheng Shin and Kenways, and they were like riding on bits of wood. Solid, no give, and a bloody nightmare in the wet. But that was to be expected. A non performance bike, on non performance tyres.

All I can suggest, is that if this kid wants cheap tyres, then he gets a cheaper bike to ride.

With any performance bike, like the storm, with all that torque, cheap tyres should not even come into the equation.

Job or no job. If he can't afford to keep it on the road himself, then sell the bike and buy something less expensive to run.

Simple., and sorry if that offends the kid.#

If his mother can afford to pay you the money, then buy a decent set of tyres, and bill her accordingly.

If she moans, then put it to her that her kid could kill himself riding on cheap shite rubber, so, it's an "investment" in his life. Whether he then rides like an asshole or not after that is HIS problem. But you'd have piece of mind it wasn't down to crap discount rubber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm retired due to medical reasons now, and scrimp with food and paying bills. But, when it comes to my bikes, I don't scrimp on what keeps them stuck on the ground.

Fair enough, the C90 gets cheap Chinese rubber. The GL Wing has a Continental on the front, and a Firestone on the back.

The old 70s stuff have traditional Avons.

But, the Storm and Triumph Sprint have good quality, fairly expensive boots on.

I JUNKED a set of Michelin Pilots with approx a thousand miles left on them on the Storm, cos I found them crap (to me), and so swapped to Bridgestone T30s front and back.

Best tyres ever on any of my bikes, and £250.00 fitted. I also got Goop fitted as a puncture preventative, for a tenner both tyres.

It's your call Chaz. We can all recommend stuff, but it ain't our kid riding on them at the end of the day.

(blimey - I need a chill pill - that was the most serious post I've ever made!) :cry:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

conti sport attack.ive done 3k on them and there hardly worn.great grip wet or dry. :thumbup:
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:.
This subject always gets me. People wanting cheap budget tyres for a high performance bike.

Everyone is happy to whack on expensive modifications, trick the bike out, deck it with all the latest technology, and then fail when it comes to tyres.

If he wants cheap tyres, I'd call up Cheng Shin and ask if they do tyres for the Storm.

It may take them a while to mould the plastic, but they should be good for 200,000 miles a set. (sorry, too sarcastic?)

I ran my 125s on Cheng Shin and Kenways, and they were like riding on bits of wood. Solid, no give, and a bloody nightmare in the wet. But that was to be expected. A non performance bike, on non performance tyres.

All I can suggest, is that if this kid wants cheap tyres, then he gets a cheaper bike to ride.

With any performance bike, like the storm, with all that torque, cheap tyres should not even come into the equation.

Job or no job. If he can't afford to keep it on the road himself, then sell the bike and buy something less expensive to run.

If his mother can afford to pay you the money, then buy a decent set of tyres, and bill her accordingly.

If she moans, then put it to her that her kid could kill himself riding on cheap shite rubber, so, it's an "investment" in his life. Whether he then rides like an asshole or not after that is HIS problem. But you'd have piece of mind it wasn't down to crap discount rubber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm retired due to medical reasons now, and scrimp with food and paying bills. But, when it comes to my bikes, I don't scrimp on what keeps them stuck on the ground.

Fair enough, the C90 gets cheap Chinese rubber. The GL Wing has a Continental on the front, and a Firestone on the back.

I JUNKED a set of Michelin Pilots with approx a thousand miles left on them on the Storm, cos I found them crap (to me), and so swapped to Bridgestone T30s front and back.

Best tyres ever on any of my bikes, and £250.00 fitted. I also got Goop fitted as a puncture preventative, for a tenner both tyres.

It's your call Chaz. We can all recommend stuff, but it ain't our kid riding on them at the end of the day.

(blimey - I need a chill pill - that was the most serious post I've ever made!) :cry:
Give him a break. He was asking what a cheap tyre is not your opinions.

I've spoke to couriers round here, and a lot if them run pilot road 1s and get good mileage. one of the cheapest tyres going. I bought a set when I was hard up, even did a track day on them. They did square off a bit though. I ran conti motions on my last bike and got sh1t mileage as well
kev64

Post by kev64 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:.

Im also looking for value for money, doesn't mean I want cheap rubbish
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

kev64 wrote:I'm also looking for value for money, doesn't mean I want cheap rubbish
That's very true.

But, by the way the original post is written, I have read it as: Young guy lost his job. Has knackered a half decent set of tyres in no time. He's got no money. Chaz will "probably end up buying them", and then get the money back from the kids Mother. (no mention of getting trade or not).

What I have read inbetween the lines, and going by the back story is: "the cheaper the tyre the better". No mention of quality (Just something hard wearing, which I don't think there is such a thing for a bike like the Storm - Unless he puts touring tyres on, but the handling will be crap). Hence why I was sarcastic with the Cheng Shins.

My advice/un-welcome opinion/ha'pennys worth still stands.

Sorry if it's upset anyone, but this is a comment board, and although Chaz (or you chaps) never wanted a reply like mine, I still felt the need to write it. We all say things that get's on peoples tits from time to time, although no offence is meant on anything I write. Unless I start a post with "I intend to offend"... :silent:

:Shrug:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
kev64

Post by kev64 »

I agree that you cant have a perfomance bike and get cheap or long lasting tyres and have handling issues, but some tyres do last longer than others without handling issues,also riding stiles vary, as a born again biker and completely new to firestorms , i am interested in peoples thoughts on there tyres of choice.
I guess this young lad as previously mentioned will have to ease off on the throttle a wee bit
chaz

Post by chaz »

background,
we used to have a bike shop in Melksham (7 others in the town) where Avon's are made.
Eldest had a bike accident on the way to Riders in Cardiff where he worked and left him paralysed, Im being treated for cancer and youngest couldn't manage on the low wages we paid him as last winter we only had peds and Chinese to work on.

I work full time in engineering so decided the time was right to shut shop. we still have trade accounts to keep our bikes and a few relatives and friends bikes running.
I had to buy 2 pairs of contis to get them at the right price and fitted them for £150 for the storm, I still have the other pair which Im not putting on a high powered bike. Ive been offered Battlax bt14's for £99+vat a pair but have to buy 2 pairs to get that price. and don't want a pair lying round that wont last.

I like to ask 'same bike' owners what they find best as the contis were a gamble and lasted 3 months.
eldest son had a mille that previous owner fitted remoulds, I wont used part worns and wont mix makes on the same bike.

so question is, what tyres do you have on your storm that lasts

BTW: one thing that's killed us off is we can buy pairs from M&P (Busters) on ebay cheaper than trade supply us , which is a wonder as Ive been assured by the importers for Continental and also trade tyre suppliers that they supply the M&P chain at the same price as us!!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Couple of comments, without wishing to wind anyone up.

The comments about not buying cheap tyres, I understand, but please remember modern tyres have a MASSIVE performance envelope and I would say (and yes it's a guess) from my experience only 5% of riders are using the full capability of their tyres. Most riders are only using 50% of their tyres performance. So they have a HUGE safety margin, which is fine, and also nice. We all like to not fall off.

However, cheaper tyres these days are also much better than they used to be. Probably better than expensive tyres from 15 years ago (when the storm was popular) so realistically most riders would find they would perform fine for their riding.

I use PR4s. They are not cheap, however, I got 8k motorway miles from a PR3 rear and the front still looked like new. The PR4 is meant to do ever more mileage, but I can't comment as my rear still looks like brand new.

So while they are not 'cheap' is it worth considering that if they last 4-5 times as long as sticky race tyres, but grip pretty much as well, do they not then become a cheap tyre, when VFM is taken into account??
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
popkat

Post by popkat »

As your in the trade (as I am) you know that there really isn't any money to be made on tyres, I really only make on the fitting. M&P often buy up the last of stock of an old tyre, maybe not listed anymore so they may have a bit of extra insider knowledge of which tyres are coming up cheaper. They were offering PR2's silly cheap a while ago with free paddock stand, but the deal didn't last long and now PR2's have gone up in price. Do check your price list for current PR2 prices though. PR1's are still available but I really wouldn't recommend them for a storm, they are hard and hard wearing, with winter coming up they will not offer the grip required by the bike and it's nature (unless you really do potter around, which your lad doesn't or he wouldn't have worn out his tyres in 3K, or were they sport attacks ?), In my opinion PR2's could last him 5-6000 miles, I don't think you'll get much more from any other tyre out there, maybe PR4 GT but they cost a fair bit more..
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

if I had the spare cash i'd be buying these, very cheap for a new set of pr2's...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-Pilo ... 1437107976
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!