2 riders killed on the Mountain course today

General Bike chat
budd

2 riders killed on the Mountain course today

Post by budd »

Currently on the ferry back from the IOM, it's been an interesting trip over but my personal issues were overshadowed today by a big crash on the mountain near black hut.
At 11am I was just getting my gear on to go for a final couple of passes over the mountain before loading the bike in the van, when the radio news informed me the mountain was closed due to a nasty accident.
very little info available at the mo but 2 riders died and the road was apparently very badly damaged in the ensuing fire ball, the mountain was still closed when we left for the ferry.
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of- ... -1-7435692
If I hadn't had a second pot of tea I would have been on the mountain at the time of the incident, makes you think !!!
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
fabiostar

Re: 2 riders killed on the Mountain course today

Post by fabiostar »

sad sad news for some families today :(
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
playerone

Post by playerone »

saw this on IOM police page on facebook earlier today, it's been a bad year all round for motorbike fatalities :thumbdown:
artee

Post by artee »

We got stopped in Ramsey.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I was over last weekend and generally it's a different crowd at the GP, more classics and people just enjoying it. There were still a good few people doing stupid things but during the TT it was ridiculous, on all parts of the circuit. The mountain seemed to be closed constantly.
artee

Post by artee »

Too many Richard overtaking round blind right handers

Roger
budd

Post by budd »

TravisZack wrote:I was over last weekend and generally it's a different crowd at the GP, more classics and people just enjoying it. There were still a good few people doing stupid things but during the TT it was ridiculous, on all parts of the circuit. The mountain seemed to be closed constantly.
this is the main reason I gave up going to the TT a few years ago, back in the late 80s early 90s most of the course was de restricted, now only the mountain and a couple of other short sections(the cronk and Quarry bends) are free from speed limits this inevitably means that rather than been spread around the full 37 miles those wishing to exploit the speed limit free environment focus their attention on the mountain course from Ramsey to Douglas, and it gets pretty busy !!! Even with the one way system you really do not to be totally aware of what is going on around you, small bikes, fast bikes, very fast bikes, and now according to mate of main over their quite a few very fast cars are making the trip, with lots of Porches, Lamborghinis and Ferraris etc all vying for road position. But by far the most dangerous things on the road are the inexperienced riders on mega fast bikes( s1000rr,late model zx10s, R1s etc) they come flying past at warp speed and then realize they don't actually know where the road goes, the resulting panic braking as a knock on effect to those following, it can be pretty hairy to say the least.

Unfortunately the continued success of the Manx/Classic TT mean the roads are getting ever busier, there's talk of introducing a one way system as per TT but there's resistance from some locals but I think they will have to do it or the casualties will mount, this would put pressure on the viability of both the TT and Manx GP festivals, hopefully sense will prevail and it will continue, unfortunately it is (like many things) the arrogant few who spoil it for the many, any future restrictions etc will be a direct result of the behaviour of these individuals.

I accept it is very tempting when faced with an iconic piece of road with no speed limits to go a little crazy, but many forget this road is only a race track when the racing is on the rest of the time (one way or not) it's a normal road, if people considered this a little then may be there would be fewer incidents and everyone could have a great time and most importantly get home to their families.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .