Intermittant Coolant Leak, Clutch Cylinder Leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RickTheHuman

Intermittant Coolant Leak, Clutch Cylinder Leak

Post by RickTheHuman »

Hi All.

I haven't checked in for while. But the VTR is going well. Getting to know it and doing plenty of riding.
When I parked at work this morning I had a coolant leak down the left of the engine, about 1/3 cup in total including the coolant blown back on the swing arm and stand. Done a search and found it is often a number of things. Reservoir tank, leaky hose, dodgy clamp. There was still coolant in the tank and I topped it up the line.
Went for a ride, stopped multiple times to check and the bloody leak has taken up again! Bit hard to find a leak that isn't there anymore!
I can tell that it has been happening for some time due to the coolant streaks on the flywheel cover (been wondering what they were)
My hunch is that one of the large hoses on the thermostat is perished... Time will tell.. Will pull the tank and fairings tonight and give the whole cooling system the once over.
Anything else I should look out for cooling system wise?

Also discovered the clutch cylinder is leaking, I will be removing it to clean and re seal it. I vaguely remember reading to tie the lever back before removing the cylinder....is that correct?

Cheers :beer:
I lika do tha cha cha
StuartWags

Re: Intermittant Coolant Leak, Clutch Cylinder Leak

Post by StuartWags »

i rebuilt one and it did the same ..... after a lot of looking i found that some that couple of the hose clamps locked up without getting tight

took them of to prove it .. replaced them .... solved it
artee

Post by artee »

Check the pipes to the carbs as well.
I had one spring a leak, couldn't find it any where.
Pulled off fuel tank and ran engine to get it hot, suddenly coolant started pissing out of a hole that was covered by one of the springy hose clips.
Never would have found that on a cold engine.

Roger
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Also the coolant expansion tank is there for when the coolant system, ie the rad cap lets coolant out of the system ( and back in)
The level in the expansion tank will go up and down depending on temp, to top up the system the rad cap is where you fill !
darkember

Post by darkember »

kev64 wrote:Also the coolant expansion tank is there for when the coolant system, ie the rad cap lets coolant out of the system ( and back in)
The level in the expansion tank will go up and down depending on temp, to top up the system the rad cap is where you fill !
I'm sure chain tension will have a bearing on this as well :lol: :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Also discovered the clutch cylinder is leaking, I will be removing it to clean and re seal it. I vaguely remember reading to tie the lever back before removing the cylinder....is that correct?
If you''e dismantling & refurbishing the clutch slave you'll need to rebleed the clutch afterwards so there's no point in tieing the lever back. That's applicable if you want the hydraulic system to remain intact after removing just the sprocket cover when changing the C&S.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote:
If you''e dismantling & refurbishing the clutch slave you'll need to rebleed the clutch afterwards so there's no point in tieing the lever back. That's applicable if you want the hydraulic system to remain intact after removing just the sprocket cover when changing the C&S.
Er... tying it back will put pressue on the M/C not what you want when removing the sprocket cover...Remove the lever at the bar= no pressuer on the M/C...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mwkeats

Post by mwkeats »

Hey, mine had a coolant leak from the reservoir tank. It had the odd drop or two that I just couldn't find the source of after a ride. Then I got stuck in Sydney traffic on a 40 degree day and had the temp hovering around 130 at that time (made me sweat for multiple reasons!!)

Got home and the LHS engine cover and my boot was drenched with coolant. Now being dark, still hot, me tired, rinsed of the coolant and left it for daylight inspection.

Next day- no visible signs of a leak. Topped up tank, short ride, still no leak. Finally had a thought, pulled out the tank, filled with water and applied a small amount of pressure - no leak. Hmm, repeated after filling with near boiling water. Viola! A pinhole leak appeared along the the line of the plastic molding seam in the tank.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Suggest the following:
Take off tank, place facing backwards on some towel across the rear subframe. Tie it on or have a friend hold it!
Reconnect the fuel hoses, it'll be a bit awkward but it can be done.

Now you can run the engine until it gets hot, and you should be able to see where the leak is.
You may need to remove the airbox, refit the carbs and run it without an airbox, to be able to see the annoying hose under the airbox behind the front cylinder.
If you aren't sure where the leak is, dry it all then wrap strips of kitchen roll round all of the hose ends, and run it again. one will change colour due to coolant soaking into it.

Run it hot enough to allow the fan to cut in and out a few times.
If it's not a hose, then it could be the water pump impeller seal; that exits on the front of the cases in fornt of the water pump, there may or may not be a small 90 angled brass spigot at the drain, otherwise a little hole.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
RickTheHuman

Post by RickTheHuman »

Thanks for all replies
mwkeats wrote:Hey, mine had a coolant leak from the reservoir tank. It had the odd drop or two that I just couldn't find the source of after a ride. Then I got stuck in Sydney traffic on a 40 degree day and had the temp hovering around 130 at that time (made me sweat for multiple reasons!!)

Got home and the LHS engine cover and my boot was drenched with coolant. Now being dark, still hot, me tired, rinsed of the coolant and left it for daylight inspection.

Next day- no visible signs of a leak. Topped up tank, short ride, still no leak. Finally had a thought, pulled out the tank, filled with water and applied a small amount of pressure - no leak. Hmm, repeated after filling with near boiling water. Viola! A pinhole leak appeared along the the line of the plastic molding seam in the tank.
This sounds like it might be the problem, However it leaked again this morning when I parked at work, cool morning and a short trip so the temp gauge had only made got to a quarter. Reservoir tank was still cold, Will pull the tank out tonight and test.
I removed the tank and airbox a night ago, ran it til hot and had a good look around for any evidence of a leak - nothing.
Gave all the clamps a tweak. Went for a 50k ride yesterday in warm weather, got up to temp and no sign of a leak all ride.
tony.mon wrote:Run it hot enough to allow the fan to cut in and out a few times.
If it's not a hose, then it could be the water pump impeller seal; that exits on the front of the cases in fornt of the water pump, there may or may not be a small 90 angled brass spigot at the drain, otherwise a little hole.
Had a check around that area and all is dry there. All the coolant is coming from the V area on the left

Cheers :beer:
I lika do tha cha cha
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Keep us posted on this one Rick.

I have a teeny, tiny leak somewhere under the carbs, but I only ever get a single drop off the engine case when I take the bike off the race stand and lean it onto the sidestand. Unless this changes I will leave it be, but if you find your leak do tell where.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tony has given you the clue. 9 times out of 10 it's the smaller hose at the front that goes to the front cylinder. Common issue on these bikes so rule that out. It may simply need the clip tightening up or replacing.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
RickTheHuman

Post by RickTheHuman »

cybercarl wrote:Tony has given you the clue. 9 times out of 10 it's the smaller hose at the front that goes to the front cylinder. Common issue on these bikes so rule that out. It may simply need the clip tightening up or replacing.

(:-})
ah huh. Thanks Carl, and Tony.. Will give it another go with the tank/abox off tonight.

Cheers
I lika do tha cha cha
RickTheHuman

Post by RickTheHuman »

Found it. Exactly where Tony mentioned. Leaking from the hose end where it connects to the front cylinder. Used my phone led to peak in there this morning when I got to work. Carbs off tonight to try and tighten
Thanks for the help :D
I lika do tha cha cha
RickTheHuman

Post by RickTheHuman »

Fixed....for now.
Tightened the hose clamp at the front cylinder. The hose is fairly soft so might need replacing in the near future.
Cheers
:beer:
I lika do tha cha cha