CCT Locking key wanted (buy or borrow)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KermitLeFrog

CCT Locking key wanted (buy or borrow)

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Hi People, as above. Seems like one of the most time consuming jobs is making one up. Has any one got one. Either a spare I'm happy to buy or rent.....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Re: CCT Locking key wanted (buy or borrow)

Post by AMCQ46 »

Not sure if I know where mine is yet, since I moved house I still haven't fully unpacked the workshop boxes :(

You only really need it if you are doing the stopper, if you are doing manuals you can just remove the old ones without locking.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You don't need it at all. Take one mounting bolt out, just loosen the second, but so that the cct is still seated.
Hold a small flat blade screwdriver in the end to stop the adjuster moving with one hand, and remove the second bolt with the other.
Have calipers ready to hand as you won't be able to put it down and go rummaging for them.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

AMCQ46 wrote:Not sure if I know where mine is yet, since I moved house I still haven't fully unpacked the workshop boxes :(

You only really need it if you are doing the stopper, if you are doing manuals you can just remove the old ones without locking.
I agree with you. Stopper mod is the way to go.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote:You don't need it at all. Take one mounting bolt out, just loosen the second, but so that the cct is still seated.
Hold a small flat blade screwdriver in the end to stop the adjuster moving with one hand, and remove the second bolt with the other.
Have calipers ready to hand as you won't be able to put it down and go rummaging for them.
OK. Thanks for that.
artee

Post by artee »

Got mine on eBay.

Roger
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote:You don't need it at all. Take one mounting bolt out, just loosen the second, but so that the cct is still seated.
OK, I think I've got my head around this. The internal worm has a slot for said scewdriver or locking key. The internal worm engages with the internal screw thread inside the plunger. Turn the internal worm anti-clockwise and the plunger extends. There is a weak radial spring that puts a small anti-clockwise force on the internal worm, thus trying all the time to extend it. This force is not anywhere near strong enough to extend the plunger against the forces of a tensioned cam chain. However, static axial force against the plunger will not turn the worm as the pitch is too fine.

However, above a certain speed (3000 rpm) the effect of the additional force and vibration etc will force the plunger in about 1/4 of a turn clockwise on the worm. (Thanks Sirch345!). As the revs drop and the tension of the cam chain relaxes and the radial spring does it's thing and turns the worm back anti-clockwise the 1/4 turn.

Presumably with the engine cold the plunger is as fully extended as it wants to be. Therefore, if you are fitting the stopper mod the length of the rod should be such as to give some clearance to allow the plunger to retract; to the tune of 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the worm.

Soooo, I fix the internal worm with a screwdriver or whatever, take the CCT out and measure the extension of the plunger. Then fit a rod that stops the plunger contracting any more than 1/2 a turn of the worm from that length.

Does this make sense????