Lean angle

General Bike chat
Dendrob

Lean angle

Post by Dendrob »

Even if you're the type to take full advantage of the amount of lean your tyres have to offer, do you find that if you scrub the rear tyre to the very edge, the front tyre is not scrubbed to the very edge?

It's as if the two wheels are experiencing different lean angles to get around the same corner.

Is it coincidental that the width of a tyre has an effect on the lean angle? A wider tyre needs more lean angle to get around a given corner, assuming all other parameters are the same. But the front and rear tyres, especially on a modern bike, are dramatically different widths, yet they both have to carry the same motorcycle around the same corner. The theory seems to tell us that the rear tyre needs more lean angle than the front.

So, is this what happens and if so, is it an explanation for the different amounts of sidewall scrubbing I mentioned at the beginning?

You know the lean angle-ometer they have on screen sometimes in motogp. I assume that represents the main frame portion of the bike, including with it the rear wheel. But what if there were two lean angle-ometers, one on the mainframe and one on the forks. Would they be always showing different readings and never the same? Except when the bike is perfectly vertical.
Wicky

Re: Lean angle

Post by Wicky »

I'd guess when naturally counter steering around a corner the front tyre would be angled slightly more upright, plus front & rear tyres have different profiles.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

Wicky wrote:I'd guess when naturally counter steering around a corner the front tyre would be angled slightly more upright, plus front & rear tyres have different profiles.

I'm definitely with you on the counter steering thing and would go further and suggest that even steering in the "right" direction would lead to different angles being set up between rear and front wheels. Any movement of the handlebars from "dead ahead", when incorporated with leaning the bike must result in a slightly different lean angle from front to rear with respect to the ground, I guess. Whether this is the reason for the front tyre never seeming to scrub to the edge when the rear does, I don't know? What do you think?

True, front and rear may have different profiles but doesn't this just manifest itself as different "effective" widths anyway, and as such doesn't really change what I've put forward? Is the radius of torus the right term? Dunno, all food for thought.

Cheers.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

like i said you need to get out more and stop asking questions. if the back tyres Fatter more touches the ground and wears etc. it aint rocket science!!! if you put 2 tyres on the same size they wear almost equal.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

has some posts on this thread disappeared?.. im near sure i posted on it?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
adyf

Post by adyf »

If your front is less scrubbed than the rear ya ain't trying hard enuff , but be warned attempting to correct this fault may result in a hedge interface.try not to outthink it just do what I do and use the 'force'.
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

I take on board the advice guys, thanks.

Getting back to the subject and with respect to the fact that a wider tyre demands more lean angle, how do we reconcile the apparent dichotomy of two tyres of differing widths attached to the same bike?
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

fabiostar wrote:has some posts on this thread disappeared?.. im near sure i posted on it?
Sorry, it's probably me who's confused the situation. I commented on a thread at the top of the list, on a very similar topic. I confess that what we were talking about got me thinking of the topic in the op of this thread. Apologies, I'm flitting! :lol:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Front & Rear tyres have a different profile.
Jamie :wave:
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

Jamoi wrote:Front & Rear tyres have a different profile.
So even though the front tyre is substantially narrower than the rear one, once the bike is leaned over the profile of the front tyre gives it an effective width (from the theoretical centreline of the bike) roughly equal to that of the rear tyre?
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Dendrob wrote:
So even though the front tyre is substantially narrower than the rear one, once the bike is leaned over the profile of the front tyre gives it an effective width (from the theoretical centreline of the bike) roughly equal to that of the rear tyre?
You are over-thinking it again. It depends on the tyre. My Storm has BT016's front and rear. The front is a higher profile tyre than the rear and the edges will never get used. The Yam has Pilot Powers front and rear. The front is a low profile tyre and both front and rear get used to the edge.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
Dendrob wrote:
You are over-thinking it again. It depends on the tyre. My Storm has BT016's front and rear. The front is a higher profile tyre than the rear and the edges will never get used. The Yam has Pilot Powers front and rear. The front is a low profile tyre and both front and rear get used to the edge.
very true. tyres are different, on the storm i had a supercorsa sticky sumthing or other and it was scrubbed to the edge, now i have a maxxis sticky thing and iv tried very hard and cant get it near the edge..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

never really put much thought into it myself

Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
Dendrob wrote:
I must admit I stick with Bridgestone.

When you say higher profile do you mean the aspect ratio?
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

Thanks guys for the input.

What are your thoughts on the other part of my op? How a tyre of a certain width demands a certain lean angle and yet the front and rear tyres are substantially different widths. What is happening here?