Advice on sale

General Biker Banter
carmanbikes

Advice on sale

Post by carmanbikes »

Hello everyone, I am after some advice on selling my bike, is it better to sell the bike complete or break it as it has got quite a few good parts on it but at the end of the day it is still a 2001 bike so what can you ask for a 15 year old bike, Nothing is definite yet as you all know what time and money have gone in to rebuilding the bike and I love it, the only reason for thinking of selling it is lack of use, my mum had a stroke in Jan 2015 so she had to move in with us and I always felt guilty going out for a ride while my wife was taking care of my mum, I felt it would get better this year as she moved back to her own home with a few modifications at the end of 2015 but last week she fell and broke her back so looks like she is going to need looking after again which is going to leave me with very little time to ride.
The bike is a 2001 FY 34,000 miles in red, it was rebuilt just over 1000 miles ago
Rogered Forks
WP rear shock ( later type )
Harris Rear Sets
PFM front brake disc
CBR 600 F4 I callipers just been anodised in black, CBR 600 F4 I master cylinder, Goodrige Hoses, Brembo carbon ceramic pads, All Bolts and Pins In Callipers are Titanium
Moriwaki exhaust cans
BMC air filter
King Carbon, Genuine Carbon Fibre Rear Hugger With Gold Mesh Inserts
Manual Timing Chain Tensioners
D.I.D Heavy Duty Gold Chain
Super Sprox Rear Sprocket
Samco Hose Kit In Blue
Powder Coated Wheels In Gold, Powder Coated Rear Sub Frame and Swinging Arm In Chrome, Powder Coated Engine Casings in Gloss Black,
Moriwaki Type Belly Pan
EBC Rear Brake Disc Brand New
All Shock linkage Bearings, Head Stock Bearings and wheel bearings, Cush Drive Have All Been Replaced 1000 Miles Ago
Pirelli Rosso Corsa Tyres Done 1000 Miles
Any advise on what it's worth or is it better to break it, It would break my heart to break it tho as it rides superb, Thanks Again Lee
StormyRob

Re: Advice on sale

Post by StormyRob »

So sorry to hear that mate.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am far from an expert!
When I added up what isaw as the resale value of those extras you listed (not all of them as I don't see second hand chains etc selling) I came to about 1700-1900.

Would yoke a while to sell them but itching quite a bit could go in here.

That does not include the fairings which look pretty decent. My guess 200 quid.
Engine. Maybe 200-250?
Frame 80
Headers 40
Tank in good nick somewhere around 70?
Not to mention the rest. Swingarm/clocks/seat/lights /casings etc

I have severely modded my bike and I know I could never expect it back if I sold it as one unit. It will take longer but my opinion is you would get more if you broke it.

Like I said I am not an expert. A mere novice! However it's an opinion nonetheless!

PS may I call first dibs on the blue hose kit if you do end up breaking? Price dependent obviously! Did you get it from Martin by any chance?
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I think I may have overestimated the 1700-1900 by a couple of hundred :/
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Bad news all round Carman...Sorry to hear your woes.

With the price of Storms ATM sick it on the bay of evil BIN 2.9- 3K...someone might snappit up at that. Run the auction startin at 1.5k. with a reserve of 23k & see how it goes.

On here as most have Storms it's a hard sell but with all the good bits someone might take it off you compleate,with a forum discount for a quick sale...

If you brake it up the hardest part to shift is the frame & then the engine most of the bling will be snapped up quick. The Vultures have already started pecking at the carcass I see... :lol: Altough on the plus side you may make loads of dosh you may also have a load of bit's just sitting around for a long time & you need to get used to packing & trips to the PO...

Best sell as a whole bike if you can. With three in the MacCave already I'm out...Be a good buy for someone.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You probably won't get full value.Standard bikes seem to make the most money unfortunately.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sorry to hear things are a bit rough atm sir :( .

bike wise. wrap it up, park it and at least you will have it in the future still waiting for you.

if you sell.. standard ones sell better atm so it seems and you have a lot of money in parts sitting on it....and im not a vulture but your rear shock has a home here if you break it soon :clap:

good luck with whatever you choose but you will regret selling that yoke as it has pretty much everybodies wish list bolted to it.
Last edited by fabiostar on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
954luca

Post by 954luca »

Shame your thinking of selling the bike mate, it looks great, if it was me I would take all the trick bits off and sell them separately, you will make so much more money that way. People never seem to want to pay extra for nice parts that are on a bike.
macdee

Post by macdee »

954luca wrote:Shame your thinking of selling the bike mate, it looks great, if it was me I would take all the trick bits off and sell them separately, you will make so much more money that way. People never seem to want to pay extra for nice parts that are on a bike.
+1
told you not to but oh no you knew better
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Sorry about all the family stuff, it's never good.

Don't, don't Don't sell her unless your in need of the cash, wrap her up and put her away for a bit. ( I had a spell of only 200- 300 miles /year, but when there is a hint of even 1/2 hr out on her it makes the world a better place).

You have spent too much looking after her just to break, she does look good.
Price wise, I have no idea, sorry.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I would go with mothballing her for the time being mate, again unless you need the cash. You are already doing the right thing by your family so having the bike sitting there waiting gives you an outlet, if you need it, every now and then.
If you do go for the sale option I reckon Mac has the right idea.
Good luck fella
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Deffo mothball if you can.
It's not worth a lot and it doesn't cost that much to store it but it will cost a lot of time, money and energy to find a bike that good and get it into that sort of standard.
And Who Knows, maybe your mum will get sick of the site of you and send you out to play for and hour :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Speaking as a tw@ who has sold loads of stuff and regretted it I would, providing you owe no money on it and are not desperate for the same put it in mothballs. Good solid bikes can only over time go up. In the mean time you can always collect all the parts needed to put it back to standard should you so wish to do so. All only my opinion whatever you do will be right for you. ATB best off luck. Richard
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I agree with most of what's been said, mothball it if you can, if not, sell off some of the easier to remove parts and replace them with standard items. for example, bellypan, hugger, end cans (first dibs on the mori cans lol) you get the picture, most oem parts like a bikini fairings and end cans are very cheap to buy and fit.
sorry to hear about your mum mate. and all the best with what ever you choose to do...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Sorry to hear of your family trouble mate :( . I currently have my Storm for sale, it's a minter ( yes Mac it's teal :lol: ) and IMO I've got it priced well, but had no interest. I'm already having second thoughts and tbh don't think I'd be too upset if it didn't sell :D . Keep her mate if you can :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
almightytomo

Post by almightytomo »

You'll easily get buyers for all the gucci bits. Strip them off and sell them separately.

Buy cheap standard parts to replace and sell it as standard.

If you can try and avoid selling as it'll cost a small fortune to replace it, but if needs must!! :thumbdown: