Brake drag normal?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SmileyVTR

Brake drag normal?

Post by SmileyVTR »

Running "HH" pads, recently refitted calipers after shocks Rodgered, sliders copper greased, several rideouts had without any braking or overheating issues.

BUT I'm now hearing louder brake drag than before (confirmed when pull in clutch and coast).

Before I consider there being an issue, me being paranoide and so replacing caliper seals etc - does anyone else have the same noise?? i.e. is it normal

(and BTW pads aren't down to the backing plates! lol)
Wicky

Re: Brake drag normal?

Post by Wicky »

I would investigate pistons and seals clean/refurbish/replace for worry free summer braking.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
artee

Post by artee »

Don't use copper grease on the sliders.
That stuff will attack the rubber parts and cause them to swell and go brittle.
Always use red rubber grease on rubber items.

ロジャー
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

As above, red rubber grease when dealing with braking components. Copper grease is petroleum based and so will swell rubber over time.
popkat

Post by popkat »

What do you mean by sliders ? what I term as them are only on the rear caliper not the fronts.

Also there's nowhere externally you should put red rubber grease on brakes, on sliding calipers use just normal grease on the pins and not a lot or it will cause a sort of hydraulic lock in the rubbers that will make them like a spring and cause brake binding.
Copper slip is ok for the pad retaining pins and also a very thin smear can be put on the protruding part of the pistons to help protect from corrosion, I use a fine mist of spray on copper grease.

When I rebuild calipers, after cleaning out the seal groves I then coat the seals in red rubber grease, once they are installed I then wipe any off the exposed seals, I put the pistons in coated in brake fluid. The reason is the thin smear that's on the seals protects from corrosion in the caliper body I wouldn't want to push any grease in with the fluid.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s