Chain adjuster stuck!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Ianasauras

Chain adjuster stuck!

Post by Ianasauras »

Hi guys,

So went to adjust the chain over the weekend. Left side adjuster - no worries. Right side - stuck solid. The bolt is rounded so can't even get a spanner or socket on to grip it properly. So i left a soldering iron on the bolt for around 30 mins thinking the heat might sort it but no such luck, sprayed it with wd40, shouted at it, used foul language on it, even asked it nicely to turn but nothing works! Any suggestions?

Cheers!
MacV2

Re: Chain adjuster stuck!

Post by MacV2 »

Had the same issue on Bloo...

I had a set of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Piece-Irwin ... SwfVpYwAcf

One of those 'they look useful, I'll buy them...' ebay purchases....Worked a treat....

If you cant wait however...Try hammering on a smaller socket or cut a slot & try a flatblade...

More heat than a soldering iron might help.

The threaded part where the bolt is probably stuck is in the end of the swingarm so heat needs to go there. There is no thread at the bolt head end...
If all else fails, & I hope it dosen't, & you have to resort to cutting the fecker off I'm sure I have a spare.

If IIRC the bolt it self is a special bit as it has a small circlip on it holding it in...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The bolt...

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB11 ... art_48005/

pt no. BOLT, CHAIN ADJUSTING 40542-KV3-700

the circlip...

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/cir-clip1 ... MbC3GdBrcc Although order from silvers at same time CSML will prob charge about £10 postage.... :lol: :lol:

pt no. CIRCLIP, OUTER (10MM) 94511-10000

Altough save the money & buy a 10mm circlip from a motor factors... :lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Oh & bin the WD40 & get yourself some Plus Gas...It is much much better than WD for rusty nut releasing...oohh er mrs...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

What a weird coincidence - mine's just done exactly the same. Was fine when I adjusted the chain a month or so ago, then when I went to do it a couple of days ago the RH one was stuck solid. I did eventually get it to move after applying WD40 but I've ordered a new one anyway.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have a spare set of you butcher one.

With heat, you want to heat the aluminium swingarm block but cool the steel bolt, so wrap a wet cloth round the bolt while heating the arm block, then re-wet the cloth with cold water before trying to turn it. The aluminium expands but the bolt doesn't, giving you a fraction more clearance on the stuck threads.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.