Rear Suspension Linkage MOT Failure - Excessive Play

General Bike chat
Ian E

Rear Suspension Linkage MOT Failure - Excessive Play

Post by Ian E »

My VTR1000F3 has just failed its first MOT on rear suspension linkage bush - excessive play. I was quoted two hours labour (£38/hr) plus the part (£60) to sort. I agreed to have this done and left bike with garage. I have since had a call from them saying the bolt is seized (the nut came off ok) and it could be up to an additional 4 hours labour (need to remove swinging arm and sort out on a bench). Any thoughts? Is this a common fault?

Cheers,

Ian.
alan

swingarm bush

Post by alan »

There taking the piss the swingarm linkage can be removed without taking the swingarm off you just need to support the bike.I have a completely good swingarm linkage and a swingarm come to think of it spare.

If i was you i would bring the bike home and sort it yourself you could source all these parts for half that price they qouted you.

6 hours labour to remove a swingarm linkage/bush is a joke.

If you lived in Leeds i would of done it for you it wouldnt be the first time i offered my sevices :lol: :lol: :lol: hey calm down :lol:
chaz

Post by chaz »

agreed, think you had better bring home and do it yourself. use the online manual then take somewhere else.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

My 2 pence worth is slightly different than Alan's. I would have thought they made need to remove the swingarm if the seized bolt they are referring to is the one which holds the linkage to the arm, as it would make the job easier to do and easier to obtain a satisfactory repair. As for the amount of time quoted it does seem rather excessive. The hardest bit for me would be the hourly rate, but if you are not mechanically minded or need the bike for daily transport you've not got many choices :!:

The linkages and swingarm consist of mainly needle roller bearings and normal ball race bearings which do need to be greased on a regular basis. I would have thought that they would last for 15 to 20,000miles depending how much winter riding it gets.

Chris.
alan

swingarm

Post by alan »

Yes i agree if its the shall we say the 2 triangular plates that have siezed on the swingarm making it difficult to work on while on the bike.But like we both have said the hourly charge and labour time is over the top.
Ian E

Post by Ian E »

Many thanks for all the advice :D

I phoned the garage this morning but the Service Manager wasn't there. I talked to the mechanic and he is now saying that he said a maximum of four hours total. I'll talk to the Service Manager tomorrow - I don't want them to do the work unless they give me a maximum price. I assumed the 2 hours labour initally quoted was to sort the job, regardless of what was involved - I don't think they would have given me a refund if the job only took 1 hour instead of 2...

The garage are saying that they will need to split the chain if they remove the swinging arm. Is this correct? - I wouldn't have though this was necessary but maybe I am missing something?

I normally do all my own servicing. I have paddock stands but I don't have a workshop stand to support the bike if the swinging arm does need removing.

The bike is garaged but does get occasional use in Winter.

Cheers,

Ian.
alan

swingarm

Post by alan »

Ian you do NOT need to split the chain to remove,undo the sprocket cover and gear linkage slacken chain take it off in one piece there is no frame on the vtr obstructing the chain.

If you need to jack bike up get a trolly jack, jack up under the sump (the flatest part of the sump near the rear) using a wooden packer to protect it then get some axle stands place these under each side of crankcase with a wooden packer,this the stands will stop the bike from swaying left and right also get someone to give you a hand to do this just to steady the bike while you place everything abit like this in my pic but i jacked up then placed it on concrete block. Now you can remove the swingarm if you wish

[/img]
Ian E

Post by Ian E »

Alan,

Thanks for the advice re the chain - I will pass the info to them!

Thanks also for the advice and pictures re standing the bike up - looks good.

I like your Storm - not quite standard! - if only Honda made 'em like that!

Cheers,

Ian.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I'd be interested to hear their explaination of how a seized bolt could cause excessive play!!!

They are taking the p155 if you ask me -is there anyone else you could take it to?

Removing the entire swingarm, linkages etc is less than an hours work once you've done it before.
And for them to then turn round and said they have to split the chain -bullsh1t!! Run away, flee 8O
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Alan, shh, you have forgot the tyres?
alan

swingarm

Post by alan »

Del i like the sparks it gives off :lol:

the handling is terrible though
Ian E

Post by Ian E »

I wanted the bike back for the weekend so in the end authorised them to do the work... They have stripped the bike down and are now saying it needs a new bolt (they have had to cut the existing one to remove it) and some bearings - they have ordered these parts from Honda. It looks like another week before I will get it back.

Ben - the excessive play was in the rubber bush, which to be fair they did demonstrate to me. I guess the bolt that they couldn't remove holds this bush on, or the linkage?

Hopefully the overall bill won't be too high. I am looking to px the Storm soon in any case.. had 3 (all from new) over the last 9 years and ready for a change.

Alan, I wish I had took you up on the offer of assistance - I am only in Bradford!

Cheers,

Ian.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Ian,

there is no rubber bush!, the outer area of each bearing is protected by a dust seal to keep the grease in and the water out but no rubber bushing at all. If one of the bearings has collapsed it would look like a bush but it's just the seal. Are they are main honda dealership?

I may have a one of the bolts in my garage (not new but it's a bolt), i may have some linkage too, which one has gone, the steel part that bolt to the swingarm/shock/T shaped alloy linkage, or the t shaped alloy linkage that bolts to the alloy engine brackets and the steel linkage?

The one that normally goes first is the one that bolts to the swingarm as it gets all the spray from the back wheel.

If they think it's a rubber bush then what have they ordered to fix it? doh. Need the bearings and dust seals and then have to remove the old bearings and press the new ones in. is the inner bearing shaft ok that rotates inside the races? If this is all rusty then the new bearings will not last long at all.

Del.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

just to add my 2pence to this:

1) 6 hours is a joke, im crap with mecanics and my bikes got more rust than 99% of other users on here, it took me and m mate 2 hours to get the back off, 4 is a joke, even more so when they are ment to be trained!

2) the chain will just slip off as alan said! Loosen the rear and push it forwards as much as possible! Even if they do have to de-link it thats not exactly hard!!!!

3) the fact they are saying all this is down to one bolt would worry me, surely their a garage so would have the correct equipment to drill it out in a short peirod of time?

as del said are they a genuine honda garage?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Ian E

Post by Ian E »

Thanks for the replies.

Del,

From what you are saying, it does sound like a bearing that has collapsed and not a rubber bush. When they showed me the play they didn't say it was a bearing. I think it is the linkage that bolts to the swingarm. They are going to save the parts removed for me to inspect. They are not a Honda dealership - they mainly sell tyres, parts and used bikes.

Squiffy,

Agree that even four hours seems excessive. They say they will only charge for the time it takes... I would also have thought that one bolt could be sorted in a short amount of time with the correct equipment.

They've got the bike in bits now and the required parts on order. They are saying it will be ready for next weekend..

Cheers,

Ian.