Squeaky rear?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
philsmith

Squeaky rear?

Post by philsmith »

Bike squeaks when i sit on it... 8O

from rear suspension... but it still handles ok... any ideas???

mucho appreciated
Phil
8)
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

umm, strip the back end down and check all of the linkages, first though try just spraying some lubricant on all the linkage seals just incase they are just dry. I would suspect that one of them is completely dry and full of rust, doh. With the rear raised you should be able to move all the linkages left and right slightly, this'll give you an indication if one is seized, if it don't move it seized. Also take a look at the chrome rod and the shock it could also be rusty and knackered.
Del.
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

Cheers Del m8

Thoroughly sprayed everything :lol: with wd40 last night inc. swingarm pivot, thought it got a little better then, but no... is quite bad, mainly when it springs back up (not as bad when pushed down??). will try moving linkages tonight... cheers

p.s everything looks clean & in good nick!... 2001 X reg

Phil 8)
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Exactly the same sound happened on mine, took it all apart and the bottom linkage bearing was completely seized.
Bit of a job for Mr hammer and some new bearings later, good as new.

Also took the opportunity to get the swing arm powder coated while the back end was apart

Rides noticeably better after putting it back together but not sure if thats the new bearings or the black swing arm :-)

Ben
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Mine developed a squeak from the back of bike the other night after a hard thrapp.....couldnt quite pinpoint it and when i had a look in the morning when it had cooled down it wouldnt squeak.....hmm think i will strip the linkages and check them first off.

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

Cheers guys.. i suppose i'll have to strip it down one day... weather too good to miss at the mo. though.

Phil 8)
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Hi all,
Well yet again ive been busy....stripped down the rear suspension on my storm today....low and behold i found the reason for
1 : My Squeak
2 : Harsher Ride than i expected.....turns out the single roller bearing in the lowest linkage ( silver one that goes from back of engine) was seized solid!

All stripped out now and all other linkages greased and reassembled but....now i need a new bearing for the lower linkage and also need the pin ( badly pitted ) and the seals of course...anyone got any of these bits hanging about ??? am going to start ringing about for them tommorow...Chambers Honda & David Silvers etc but thought i would ask the question as you never know... :D

Any recommendations for peeps that may have them in stock ??

Cheers

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek