SP1 white smoke - loads of it

General Bike chat
Dean O

Re: SP1 white smoke - loads of it

Post by Dean O »

that'll do fellas, ta - paranoid enough as it is :eek2

I'm rather hoping it ain't warped enough to warrant much taking off.

and another thing, if it has overheated & warped, then why did the rear one not go first seeing as it has no air cooling? :confused
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

hoo feckin rah 8)
3 months on & this morning an apparently undamaged SP1 FRONT head has arrived by parcel post.
after previously being sent a damaged one, plus one off a firestorm cos the breaker thought an SP1 IS a firestorm & been promised a correct head that they then knackered separating it from the engine, I finally think I've made some progress :D
its cost me £190 but that's a saving on £800 for a new one! another week or so & hopefully she'll be sat outside waiting for her 1st run out of the summer. in the intervening weeks I've learned to ride a bit on the blackbird (completely lost me chicken strips :P ) so feel almost qualified to ride the SP properly now :biggrin
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Nice one Dean O. Hope it all goes as planned and you are back on a twin very soon.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
ubermod

Post by ubermod »

Hi,

Took mine for an MOT the other week and mentioned it was a little rough on idle and didn't like to tick over without the choke about a 1/4 of the way out.

The mechanic said "put some carb cleaner in the petrol", I said "Redex" he said "yeah". So I've got a bottle of the stuff that says it's for cleaning carbs, and before plonking some in I thought I'd check here first, and discover this horror story.

So...is it still verboten to add the stuff, or has in been exonerated in small doses?

Cheers
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

carb cleaner was all the rage when we had leaded fuels, but tbh bud (in the uk anyway) we have good quality lead free fuels now and you shouldn't need it.
i'd say carb balance....

get a copy of the shop manual from the knowledge base section and look at the fuel section before you go any further ;)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.