Flip Helmets........available soon at Lidls!!!

General Biker Banter
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Flip Helmets........available soon at Lidls!!!

Post by Pete.L »

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Mike.
If it's not a good fit it doesn't matter how much it cost or how high it's safety rating is. It wont work when you need it. Get a good fit and then worry about cost and ratings :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Mike.
Heck of a way of keeping your helmet on. I just use the chin strap. All respect to you!!!!!

Aye lad. Well my flat cap in reverse fits fine so I'd better stick with that then! :whatever

I have an Arai shaped head too in the form of the Astro 'R' and and a Condor (only a lowly 2** for the latter). Well not all tests are flawless and I'll bet a few big names try to discredit it seeing their results, but it's all information that we can choose to ignore or use as a guide. Take yer pick.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
stormarmy

Post by stormarmy »

I use a Schuberth C2 Flip Front.

Quiet, Comfy and 5 star SHARP rating. I guess you pays ya money and you make ya choice. I have heard some horror stories about cheap kit but If you don't come off you could wear just ya pants and you'd be fine!!! (obviously I am not suggesting using your pants as a helmet - that would be ridiculous)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

LotusSevenMan wrote:
As a PS, it was the fact that my full face helmet's chinbar caught the armco that snapped it back and broke my neck some 32 years ago, so a flip-up type might (perhaps) have given a bit and done me more facial damage but without the broken neck so ?????????
can agree with that to a degree - i had a simson 'storm trooper' (pre-approval) lid of a rep many years ago, and hitting a car head on, i was surprised that it disintegrated on impact and left me with just a polystyrene shell on my bonce...
i thought uh, how sh1t.
until someone pointed out that it must've absorbed a hell of a lot of force to come apart like that - with a lesser lid all that force might have disintegrated my skull instead.
a helmet is a sacrificial piece of kit, designed to protect what is inside it, not necessarily survive impact itself.

also interesting in cliveys battlescar post, he lost a few front teeth from the chinguard - which says a lot about a good fitting helmet - ive had a few (eg bell / agv) that fitted a bit too close to my nose / chin to offer any real protection in a frontal / facial impact.
like a loose fitting helmet or one not fastened tight enough, could slip on impact and proper crouton your face up.

i'm not so sure about flip lids foor this reason - if they are designed to flip up easily, will they flip up on impact and leave your face exposed to conctret & steel? :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
paulo

Post by paulo »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-ACU-GOLD- ... 23080b418f

Just how easy is it to get hold of these things.. I read a report in MCN a few years ago about a cheap helmet design they bought from the far east. they sent it for testing/approval and it wasn't even tested they just stuck the fake stickers on and it sailed through. But MCN ran their own tests and it failed at every one!

As for helmets you get what you pay for i have always been an aria fan meself. Probably due to having an aria pro 2 guitar when i was younger. dam i miss that guitar
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

My two pences worth

I think we all have a specific manufacturers helmet head !!!!!
For example I have tried loads and loads and have come down (in my case) to the fact that I have a AGV and HJC head :? (Carbon head of course :D )
I'd like to have a Aria head but I don't. They go over my head but never feel right.
The same goes for Shark and most of the others, they either do not fit right or just feel plain wrong for me.

Forget the crap * ratting or what your mate's have got or what your favorite racer wears. It's got to fit your head and feel "Right"

Thank god for Ben Spies, as until he arrived everyone thought my choice of hemlet (HJC) was based on the lowest cost possible :D
"Only one life, so live it and ride a motorcycle"
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Styler4077 wrote:
Thank god for Ben Spies, as until he arrived everyone thought my choice of hemlet (HJC) was based on the lowest cost possible :D

but they make your eyes water a lot when you get overtaken.... must be the bad venting :roll:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

Hey thats very true.
Much worse than my AGV as at least I can pop the visor up 5mm to let some air in.
With the HJC Carbon I can not have the visor open even a little to let the air in without making my eyes water... hey ho :roll:
The drop down internal sun visor helps but does not take the swirling air completly away.

Benny, is this what you have found with them? Thought I was on my own :(
"Only one life, so live it and ride a motorcycle"
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've had HJC for a few years now. Actually my last two lids have been HJC, the first one was so good I bought another when I decided to retire it.
Can't say I've ever had any problems with runny eyes though. I prefer to wear reactilite glasses and that does help with dry eyes. Might be good for your runny ones :eh:
If not some Biggles goggles wil defo sort you out :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal