Another proud VTR owner, checking in!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
lumpyv

Re: Another proud VTR owner, checking in!

Post by lumpyv »

hello and welcome in . enjoy the bike :thumbup:

i,m just up the road myself :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
andy225

Post by andy225 »

Welcome aboard mate,good choice :thumbup: I did the regulator/rectifier mod on my storm after it started playing up,followed the info given on this site,easy to do,used a second hand R6 r/r that I got from ebay for £15.
2002 VTR1000 firestorm,yellow,blueflame race cans. :D
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Hello and welcome but a bit too far for tea or coffee..... :eh:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hey :wave: welcome to the forum :)
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome!!

I'm really glad I went for a F-Storm over the other big twins, it has just the right amount of character & sparkle while being very "everyday" in it's use ability.

Thanks for coming over the other day Wicky, great to meet you & even brought Hobnobs! Top bloke!
Would be awesome to meet up and go for a ride, maybe get some other local Storms along too.

I've now scrubbed my new tyres in while putting it through its paces :biggrin

Hope to do the cct's tomorrow along with an oil change & I have a R/R from an R6 on order.

Have a good weekend everyone :beer:

Jamie

P.s does anyone else wince a little when changing up from 1st to 2nd?? Feels somewhat like I'm trying to murder the gearbox no matter what revs/speed/load etc... :confused
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome to the forum Jamie. Yeh 1st to 2nd can be a bit clunky and is common as 1st to 2nd is the hardest change for the gearbox as it passes neutral. If it gets too clunky or difficult to shift then it can be a sign of low oil so check your oil level. You will soon get used to it, you just need to be a little smoother with the gear changes.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Great to meet you too and ta for tea,

Good luck with your stopper CCTs today, any problems give a call. A fantastic bargain you've got, a '98 (?) unmolested Silver Dream Storm with only 15k for not much at all and found locally. Post some pics of your storm beastie with your mods.

Cue vid and sing along...

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

what bike was that based on wicky?
and what was the flat chested birds name.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cristina Raines

Based on a Barton Suzuki

It was a revolutionary British bike built by Barton Motors (Caernarfon) Ltd who were Barry Hart and Graham Dyson. It did have a carbon fibre frame like they said in the film. A very few of these bikes were sold to privateers

quote:
The Barton square four is a 750 cc disc-valve water-cooled two-stroke. Barton used the design of the Suzuki RG500 engine but made it better and more reliable. Suzuki used Bartons design in later RG500 models. Two of these bikes were made by Barton, they wanted to race the bikes in the F750 class but that never took place. The bikes were used in the 1980 film Silver Dream Racer (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081517/). They were ridden by Roger Marshall. After the film they were bought by Erik Buell, who still is the current owner. He was planning to race them in the AMA F1 class just before they banned them for this class.

To quote Graham Dyson...............

Hart wanted to build a F750 challenger and liked the idea of a 'big' RG square four. Sheene lent us his RG500 and we pulled it down to study it. We were horrified when we saw the crank arrangement; everything relied on four 6mm titanium screws. When we built our engine we did it properly, using a keyway and press fit. The basis was a Suzuki bottom end with a Yamaha top end, though there were considerable design differences. Scunthorpe-based national rider Graham Wood took on the role of development rider and, while testing at Oulton Park, broke the engine. We stripped it to find that the narrow drive gears to the cranks had broken, so we changed the design to a much tougher one with wider gears. In fact Suzuki copied our design on their later models.

It was this machine that formed the basis for the Silver Dream Racer - that most dire of films starring David Essex. The film boss was a pal of Tony Dawson, of Scitsu rev counter fame, who recommended us for the feature bike. We made two bikes, my brothers did the bodywork, It was a lovely bike, very futuristic but not very practical for genuine racing, but there again the film was a fantasy tale so it had to look the part. We kept the bikes after the film and put them back into proper racing trim.

More pics > http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/750,barton/Timeline

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... eam-racer/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Ha! Brilliant!

I now have a nickname for my bike - Silver Dream Racer! :D

Hey guess what?? I ordered a new R/R this morning (via a link from Wicky, cheers matey) as a preventative measure, rode 5 miles down the road towards Hein Gericke and what happens.... :roll:

Waiting for the AA, fried R/R but battery is fine! Haha oh well! :wink:

Gives me time to watch some Silver Dream racer (bit before my time) on YouTube via iPhone :lol:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Jamie in Colchester wrote:Ha! Brilliant!

I now have a nickname for my bike - Silver Dream Racer! :D

Hey guess what?? I ordered a new R/R this morning (via a link from Wicky, cheers matey) as a preventative measure, rode 5 miles down the road towards Hein Gericke and what happens.... :roll:

Waiting for the AA, fried R/R but battery is fine! Haha oh well! :wink:

Gives me time to watch some Silver Dream racer (bit before my time) on YouTube via iPhone :lol:
i find it unreal/ironic :crazy: :crazy: you mend one common fault and the other one bites you in the ar5e!

hope battery is ok . see you for a spin sometime

:thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Warned you! Hope you get back home soon.

The only spare I have is another self-cooking unfinned one

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

^^^^^^^^ thats meeee! ^^^^^^

A self cooking un-finned one is better than a self cooked un-finned one!! Only got 3hrs to wait... In my leathers... In the sun! :crazy:

Still love my new Silver Dream Racer though :D
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Where is you waiting?

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Wicky wrote:Where is you waiting?
Hey sorry Wicky, I got picked up ok. Silver Dream is tucked up in bed awaiting some mechanical love :D

Now it's time for a cold one of these :beer:

Cheers, J