EBC or Brembo?

General Biker Banter
darkember

Re: EBC or Brembo?

Post by darkember »

I've fitted EBC organics on mine for various reasons.

1: I don't ride aggressively enough to warrant brakes that will throw me over the handle bars.
2: I want my disks to last, fitting sintered pads will significantly reduce disk life.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

darkember wrote:I've fitted EBC organics on mine for various reasons.

1: I don't ride aggressively enough to warrant brakes that will throw me over the handle bars.
2: I want my disks to last, fitting sintered pads will significantly reduce disk life.
Sorry,
got to disagree with this.
On a large heavy bike you need good brakes if only to be able to do an emergency stop! It could save your life or somebody else's.
Also, I managed nearly 50K on one of my previous bikes using Double H sintered pads and the discs were just about on the wear line. I think that good enough for most folk not to have to worry about replacing discs too often

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Damon777

Post by Damon777 »

Can you let us know where the best deal you find on your brembo pads bikerbabe as I need a set for the winter rebuild cheers :thumbup:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Pete.L wrote:
darkember wrote:I've fitted EBC organics on mine for various reasons.

Sorry,
got to disagree with this.
On a large heavy bike you need good brakes if only to be able to do an emergency stop! It could save your life or somebody else's.
Also, I managed nearly 50K on one of my previous bikes using Double H sintered pads and the discs were just about on the wear line. I think that good enough for most folk not to have to worry about replacing discs too often

Pete.l
I don't class the Storm as a large or heavy bike. Each to their own opinion, I have not found any issues with the stopping power on my present setup.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't class the Storm as a large or heavy bike.
I guess that depends on who's riding it. Now where's that Pineapple. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

I remember riding a mates storm once and the brakes were a bit shite, but on the 3 I've owned now they've all been fine. I'm on standard hoses at the moment, and I'll bet I could stand it on its nose with 2 fingers on the lever ( aint gonna try though !! ).
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

leevtr wrote:I remember riding a mates storm once and the brakes were a bit shite, but on the 3 I've owned now they've all been fine. I'm on standard hoses at the moment, and I'll bet I could stand it on its nose with 2 fingers on the lever ( aint gonna try though !! ).
I bet you could... For the split second before it tosses you over... The stock VTR brakes aren't bad, and they sure doesn't lack stopping power... What I feel they lack more than anything is feel and modulation... It's all or nothing, or very nearly at least... The brakes I have now, are so, sooo much easier to modulate, as you feel the action, and feel how much to squeeze in a whole different way...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

just my 2p worth, standard calipers/discs/pads are ok for everyday riding on the storm. as long as they're kept in tip top condition, as for standing it on its nose, yes you can, but that's more to do with the soft front forks bottoming out, trust me I've done it, and it ferking hurts... :thumbdown:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

agentpineapple wrote:just my 2p worth, standard calipers/discs/pads are ok for everyday riding on the storm. as long as they're kept in tip top condition, as for standing it on its nose, yes you can, but that's more to do with the soft front forks bottoming out, trust me I've done it, and it ferking hurts... :thumbdown:
Well maybe the suspension needs addressing before the brakes ???
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well stopping is a combination of both. Suspension and tyres play a big part in it. It don't take much to bottom out standard forks and springs, especially if the fork oil has not been changed in a few years. But with regards to pads it's like what has been said. It's down to the feel, feedback and brake fade. But it also comes down to how one rides and how hard you are on the brakes. If your racing around then you will be applying the brakes later and harder, whereas if your just cruising around you might find yourself using a lot more engine braking and applying the brakes to come to a gentle stop.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

Brembo! once you had them you wont go back, for the little extra it might just save you skin, brakes are the best upgrade and often over looked by most

when you change the pads clean the pistons before you fit the new pads and push the pistons back in as the dirty piston can cause problems like sticking pistons in the calliper which can warp a disc in no time at all, never had trouble with the nissin Honda items but on the Suzuki its more of a problem somthing i have just found out the hard way!
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

cybercarl wrote:Well stopping is a combination of both. Suspension and tyres play a big part in it. It don't take much to bottom out standard forks and springs, especially if the fork oil has not been changed in a few years. But with regards to pads it's like what has been said. It's down to the feel, feedback and brake fade. But it also comes down to how one rides and how hard you are on the brakes. If your racing around then you will be applying the brakes later and harder, whereas if your just cruising around you might find yourself using a lot more engine braking and applying the brakes to come to a gentle stop. I don't race around at a space cadet pace each time I go out, but I do have my times when I ride fast. I am one for throttling off though and using brakes to roll to a stop rather than jumping hard on the brakes!

I was just wanting to know if the Brembo would last longer than say EBC etc or would you only put Brembo pads on if you were to be doing some 'serious' riding and braking? This is why I come to you guys for advice, because to me, and trust me, I'm learning all the time, I'd of thought the Brembo would have given longer life etc but as Pete says, he finds them well, but is that for faster riding most of the time so more braking involved, or is it because it helps to improve the braking? My braking is fine, my bike has no issues there I can tell you that. I simply wanted a pad that would last and wasn't cheap cheap and I normally use standard sintered, but having a little spare cash, thought I might splash out. BUT, I don't want them if they won't suit/work best for my style of riding. I ride fast when I want, corner quite well as I say, I throttle off, roll me bike where needs, brakes applied as you'd expect and do use my back brake but that is on another very well thought out thread by PeteL. So, back to my original Q, does it matter if you ride like Rossi or not :lol: :lol: :lol: Cos I aint no Rossi, but I aint no slow coach but then I don't stamp on my brakes every 5 mins! Ta muchly.. :thumbup:
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
Anotherbikerbabe

Damon777 wrote:Can you let us know where the best deal you find on your brembo pads bikerbabe as I need a set for the winter rebuild cheers :thumbup:
Cheapest I found, (I had to ask the guy as not listed in his ebay shop) was £29.46 per pad. I thought that wasn't a bad price :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Even though the Brembo's have half the pad material I would say they probably last as long depending on how much the brakes are used. My fronts where fitted well over a year ago and are still good but I have had to change the rears as the calliper was not operating as it should and one side pad wear wore quicker than I would have liked. I have just thrown some EBC's in there for now but have noticed a definite difference in braking ability. Not as good!! With the Brembo's your paying for then name and the better quality pad material. Not for wear and tear but braking efficiency.

Anotherbikerbabe

I got my all round Brembo pads ( they only do one type for rear) 2 compounds for front but since I don't do track days lol.. I have sintered front pads ordered, full set was only £88 all round with 10% off and FREE postage from Tim @ jjraceandrally 0843 208 2201. I actually thought that was a good price for the full set of 3. vtr.dh? not sure of his username on here, sorry Rob, told me last night he could have got them cheaper for me including shipping :wtf: :oops: But I don't think he saw my posts as he is a very very busy man! No doubt he will post something to that affect when he has time to pop in.. I think £88 all round is good esp the front ones as the front needing 2 = more wonga!