EBC or Brembo?

General Biker Banter
Anotherbikerbabe

EBC or Brembo?

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Guys..... ANOTHER one of my ever growing dilemmas... EBC pads or Brembo? I really can't decided as don't have enough info (I like to gather my own intel from all sorts of sources lol) before making an informed decision but honestly, guys, does it matter? Well apart from the price... I'm no racer, but I can hold my own, keep up, ride fast when I want to, am super duper at slow riding /filtering ( mostly due to me not wanting to drop my bike so I super concentrate ha ha) My cornering is not bad.

So does it really just come down to wear and tear as in one will last a lot longer than the other?. I don't brake hard cos my friggin brakes are sh1t hot!! I don't need to.. :think:
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
lloydie

Re: EBC or Brembo?

Post by lloydie »

From what I've read people that have used both ebc and brembo they won't buy ebc again .
I'm trying brembos next just to see what all the fuss is about .
Anotherbikerbabe

lloydie wrote:From what I've read people that have used both ebc and brembo they won't buy ebc again .
I'm trying brembos next just to see what all the fuss is about .
:thumbup:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Another one of those dilemas that I dont really get. I always use original Honda pads, never, ever do they lack stopping power, nor have they worn out exceptionally quickly. Some people want more power from their brakes, but while theyre good enough to flip the bike over its nose or overwhelm the front tyre, I cant see the need to change.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
954luca

Post by 954luca »

leevtr wrote:Another one of those dilemas that I dont really get. I always use original Honda pads, never, ever do they lack stopping power, nor have they worn out exceptionally quickly. Some people want more power from their brakes, but while theyre good enough to flip the bike over its nose or overwhelm the front tyre, I cant see the need to change.
+1

Got to agree, after trying loads of aftermarket pads over the years, always find genuine are best, especially for road use.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think good brakes are a more important mod than doing your engine up, and they need to be strong, easy to modulate and have good progressive initial bite.... You can never have enough brakes :D

And If I base my opinions on my own bike, the firestorm does none of these things as a std bike. And yes that is with cleaned calipers and pistons, std and EBC pads, ss hoses...the lot.. The brakes are still not strong enough ... On my bike!

So I have fitted bigger piston calipers and the correct master cyl to match, giving improved hydraulic advantage as well as bigger pistons. With this set up I have now used std Honda, EBC HH and now brembo road pads.

Honda were close to the EBC in my view, with a good initial bite, but the EBC edged it on over all power, but i was still using 3 or 4 fingers for big stops. The brembo beats them both with a good progressive bite, more power and I am mostly using 2 fingers for all stopping.

So my next pads will not be EBC or Honda, they will be brembo or perhaps I will try the dyno mans suggestion which were ferodo (I might be wrong on that but I did write it down some where!)
But currently brembo is the new baseline.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree it is more to do with what you're happy with, or used to.

One little tip worth noting that caught me out once, is the front pads don't have that much thickness to them when new. I bought some new (Honda OEM) front pads when I thought mine were getting down. On closer inspection and measuring I found my old ones had almost 3mm of pad thickness left (I had guessed about 2mm). To my amazement the new ones were only 4.5mm thick IIRC.

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

AMCQ46 wrote:I think good brakes are a more important mod than doing your engine up, and they need to be strong, easy to modulate and have good progressive initial bite.... You can never have enough brakes :D

And If I base my opinions on my own bike, the firestorm does none of these things as a std bike. And yes that is with cleaned calipers and pistons, std and EBC pads, ss hoses...the lot.. The brakes are still not strong enough ... On my bike!

So I have fitted bigger piston calipers and the correct master cyl to match, giving improved hydraulic advantage as well as bigger pistons. With this set up I have now used std Honda, EBC HH and now brembo road pads.

Honda were close to the EBC in my view, with a good initial bite, but the EBC edged it on over all power, but i was still using 3 or 4 fingers for big stops. The brembo beats them both with a good progressive bite, more power and I am mostly using 2 fingers for all stopping.

So my next pads will not be EBC or Honda, they will be brembo or perhaps I will try the dyno mans suggestion which were ferodo (I might be wrong on that but I did write it down some where!)
Bendix pads al is kevs pads of choice and are good .
Anotherbikerbabe

leevtr wrote:Another one of those dilemas that I dont really get. I always use original Honda pads, never, ever do they lack stopping power, nor have they worn out exceptionally quickly. Some people want more power from their brakes, but while they're good enough to flip the bike over its nose or overwhelm the front tyre, I cant see the need to change.
..and there you have it.. :thumbup: . This is why I say 'Dilemma' in the nicest way,as in, I need more info to make the decision from you guys who have used them as I don't trust a bunch of opinion polls written on some antiquated article written by some dinosaur who prob never rode a VTR... :thumbup:
Anotherbikerbabe

AMCQ46 wrote:I think good brakes are a more important mod than doing your engine up, and they need to be strong, easy to modulate and have good progressive initial bite.... You can never have enough brakes :D : Thanks for that bit, my brakes are really good so however/whoever had my previously certainly made sure of that and I suspect it ws pre Marravtr. :-)

And If I base my opinions on my own bike, the firestorm does none of these things as a std bike. And yes that is with cleaned calipers and pistons, std and EBC pads, ss hoses...the lot.. The brakes are still not strong enough ... On my bike! Crikey!

So I have fitted bigger piston calipers and the correct master cyl to match, giving improved hydraulic advantage as well as bigger pistons. With this set up I have now used std Honda, EBC HH and now brembo road pads. :thumbup:

Honda were close to the EBC in my view, with a good initial bite, but the EBC edged it on over all power, but i was still using 3 or 4 fingers for big stops. The brembo beats them both with a good progressive bite, more power and I am mostly using 2 fingers for all stopping. That's another piece I was looking for :thumbup:

:P Cheers for that, I always ask the guys on here first as in the past I just make sure I buy a good sintered HH pad and never really give it much thought.
Anotherbikerbabe

Cheers guys

All information is useful. Brembo all round it is then, ordering today.I try to find things out from other riders and get a different perspective on who knows how to handle our machines. That is more important. So thanks guys. Over 2 VTRs and 4 years of one riding it,there is always a question or 3 ..I can always count on your guys to come up with reasonable solutions and resolutions to all sorts. We are always learning and not everyone has the answers, but between us we come as 'close to it' as a forum. Thanks guys.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

One little tip worth noting that caught me out once, is the front pads don't have that much thickness to them when new. I bought some new (Honda OEM) front pads when I thought mine were getting down.
Are you referring to the Brermbo pads Chris. They are indeed very thin compared to other brands but wear very slowly.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

ZCOO..... simply the best, try them and become a believer. Any pad that outdoes an HRC hard bite and Vesrah SRJL cannot be described any other way. Best of all, they are readily available in Europe (unlike here in NA, had to order mine from Japan)........ They work when cold, in the rain, have a soft feel, and, brake like mad.... what is not to like.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Only problem is that they don't appear to do them for Firestorm OEM calipers, presumably you've got different braking system fitted.

http://www.omniaracing.net/index.php/br ... s-c-11_151
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Wicky wrote:Only problem is that they don't appear to do them for Firestorm OEM calipers, presumably you've got different braking system fitted.

http://www.omniaracing.net/index.php/br ... s-c-11_151
Well... Since I really would suggest getting either F4i or 929/954/RC calipers with a matching master cylinder fitted anyway, that shouldn't be a huge problem really... I'm using HRC hard bite on my CBR 1000RR brakes/forks, and while I have a hard time believing anything can better them, I'm going to try mik_str's suggestion next season, as these are almost worn out now...

And yeah, compared to stock, what I have now is night and day... Two fingers is enough... Three and you are going to impersonate superman... :wink: But still very, very easy to modulate, and I now have the confidence in the suspension to pretty much slam on the brakes hard, and feather them on the limit of what the tire grip allows me, if need be...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...