What is this tapping?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bald_pig

What is this tapping?

Post by bald_pig »

Hey guys, just fitted MCCTs after a failure, first fire up, and...
[youtube][/youtube]

Is this a damaged valve? I rode it round the block, and it doesn't feel down on power.

:( :( :(
Wicky

Re: What is this tapping?

Post by Wicky »

Might want to try a commpression test / check valve clearances to assertain if valve damage.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Seeing as you had a CCT fail, I'm assuming you checked the valve timing when you fitted the new manual cam chain tensioners by removing by both cam covers. If the timing was out, only by a few teeth even you could still have bent some valves. A check of the valve clearances should have been carried out at that point really. The tell-tale sign of bent valves by doing a valve clearance check is, the clearances will be far too much.

What Wicky suggests is probably your best option now, although you could check that all the hoses are connected properly on the air box, especially the one that is hard to get at that connects under the air box base on the front left hand side (side stand side).

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It sounds like there may be an exhaust blow there too :think: maybe worth checking the exhaust coper ring gasket on the cylinder as these can rattle giving a high pitched tap if not seated. Feel for any leaks first and watch you don't burn yourself.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Sounds a bit " exhausty ".... to me but I may be wrong, check seals around pipes / exhaust
for gases escaping ... wear thick gloves, no burns !! if - often you can detect a mechanical knock through
a very long handled screwdriver , the old mechanics did this place blade on engine casing
where the knocks are and feel t'other end slightly for vibrations / knocks which will be apparent and
n be magnified / detectable ...just a thought .. good luck , bike ticks over well .. :thumbup:
Alb
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Screwdriver is a good tip :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
PARSLEYRIPPER

Post by PARSLEYRIPPER »

Sounds terrible, idle seems lumpy as well? I would be very wary of running it anymore till a comp test is done. Its a fast simple way of finding out if valve damage has occurred. Just my opinion.
PARSLEYRIPPER

Post by PARSLEYRIPPER »

Just listened to it again and does sound like exhaust blowing at the head. I would still do a comp check though.
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

sirch345 wrote:Seeing as you had a CCT fail, I'm assuming you checked the valve timing when you fitted the new manual cam chain tensioners by removing by both cam covers. If the timing was out, only by a few teeth even you could still have bent some valves. A check of the valve clearances should have been carried out at that point really. The tell-tale sign of bent valves by doing a valve clearance check is, the clearances will be far too much.

What Wicky suggests is probably your best option now, although you could check that all the hoses are connected properly on the air box, especially the one that is hard to get at that connects under the air box base on the front left hand side (side stand side).

Chris.
All I checked was that the valves were fully closing with the cam, as i believe they wouldn't close fully if they were bent?
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

Wicky wrote:Might want to try a commpression test / check valve clearances to assertain if valve damage.
Will have to get my hands on a compression tester that fits.

Thanks.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Something to bear in mind mate, I've seen engines pass compression checks and valve clearances be ok and still have a sticky valve! ( I.e. valve slightly bent creating tapping )
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bald_pig wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Seeing as you had a CCT fail, I'm assuming you checked the valve timing when you fitted the new manual cam chain tensioners by removing by both cam covers. If the timing was out, only by a few teeth even you could still have bent some valves. A check of the valve clearances should have been carried out at that point really. The tell-tale sign of bent valves by doing a valve clearance check is, the clearances will be far too much.

Chris.
All I checked was that the valves were fully closing with the cam, as i believe they wouldn't close fully if they were bent?
How did you check? Visually?

In my experience any valv that's bent is usually bent far enough to leave the bucket lower down than the others, just looking at the top of the bucket compared to the surrounding casting, but checking clearances will always be the best way- and while you're there looking at them, barely any more work.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.