Click from front end

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mavar1ck

Click from front end

Post by mavar1ck »

Hi, I have got a click coming from the front when I turn or pull away. I think it is the head bearings. Is this correct?

Brian
tony.mon

Re: Click from front end

Post by tony.mon »

Or wheel bearings, or loose caliper bolts, or knackered fork slider bushes, but try head bearings first, Get a friend to hold the front wheel off the ground by pulling the bike over onto the sidestand, then you can gently pull and push the forks back and forth to find out.
Don't pull forward hard enough to pull it off the sidestand though....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
darkember

Post by darkember »

A click never hear that before when mine went. You will usually feel a knock under braking. Rumble strips will also amplify it. Another test is to lift the front wheel off the ground by using a jack under the sump, then push the steering off center & see how it responds. If it returns to the center this will indicate a dent in the race & a new set will be needed. Go taper see link

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=15681
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

darkember wrote:A click never hear that before when mine went. You will usually feel a knock under braking. Rumble strips will also amplify it. Another test is to lift the front wheel off the ground by using a jack under the sump, then push the steering off center & see how it responds. If it returns to the center this will indicate a dent in the race & a new set will be needed. Go taper see link

Brought a set of tapers and dust seals. Bike is on a abba stand and jacked up. No play in wheels or steering. No notchy feeling and swings freely left to right. Check the drive chain for tight spots just in case my ears were playing tricks on me but this was fine. Sometimes when stationary and you turn the bars it clicks this is why i suspect the head bearings. Bike has done 15k. Probably been doing this sometime but due to noisey CCT not heard it but have fitted a pair of manual ones now and bike is quieter and I can hear all her creaks and groans.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you cannot feel any play in the steering head as you say, and the old original steering head bearings are still fitted, normally the handle bars will self center when you turn the bars slightly to the left or right and leave them go, with the front wheel suspended if they are badly worn.

Chris.
sgoaty

Post by sgoaty »

sirch345 wrote:If you cannot feel any play in the steering head as you say, and the old original steering head bearings are still fitted, normally the handle bars will self center when you turn the bars slightly to the left or right and leave them go, with the front wheel suspended if they are badly worn.

Chris.
I noticed mine doing exactly this when i was refitting forks today. Bugger :sad2 is there a how to guide on here anywhere for the bearings?
Cheers
Scott
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not a complete how to guide but there is one for setting up with Taper bearings.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I just noticed I should have added "if they are badly worm" at the end of my sentence :roll: I have changed it now :shh:

Here's a link for the bearings:

**EDIT**
Great minds think alike Carl :lol:

Chris.
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

Just finished putting the front end back together and still believe I have the click. Just turned the bars from left to right under load and heard the click doesn't do it when off the ground. Absolutely no play what so ever in the front head bearings were a little dis-coloured but seemed fine, changed for tapered ones now and steering does seem smoother.

Fork bushes? May be a winter strip down any other suggestions would be great.

The click happens once you put the weight back on the front and turn the steering, only happens once like this until you take the weight off again. When riding makes the click when accelerating away from a stand still or slow speed. Checked the history has had uprated springs at some point.

Cheers

Mav.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Might be silly but have you cheched the brake pads ?
I had an odd tick click on my nc23 it turned out to be the front brake pad location pin hole worn !
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

lloydie wrote:Might be silly but have you cheched the brake pads ?
I had an odd tick click on my nc23 it turned out to be the front brake pad location pin hole worn !
Will check tomorrow, thanks
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

mavar1ck wrote:
lloydie wrote:Might be silly but have you cheched the brake pads ?
Will check tomorrow, thanks
Front brake pads and pins ok. Only moving parts left are wheel bearings and forks. :D
wiltsdan

Post by wiltsdan »

floating disks? does it not make the click when brakes are hot? (can't think of anything else not mentioned)
No I can't spell.
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

wiltsdan wrote:floating disks? does it not make the click when brakes are hot? (can't think of anything else not mentioned)
If I lift the front end off the ground lower turn the steering single click. I'm sure it's the forks. Can someone tell me if they will wait until winter? No sign of any leaks.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bit of a mystery this one. Have you checked to make sure there is not a brake line or something catching on the fairing when turning the steering. Maybe remove the fairing and make sure there is nothing catching somewhere. Did you get around to removing the forks and fitting the taper bearings.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside