Yet another airbox lid mod

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Varastorm

Yet another airbox lid mod

Post by Varastorm »

I have finally sorted/finished the jetting for the Ducati stack mod 8O (will update the thread for those who are interested) :thumbup: & am ready for a Dyno run again, so in the meantime.

Got a bit bored the other day & whilst the 4 1/2" grinder was out equipped with a flap wheel I did this :thumbup:

It took me 1/2 an hour to do with a spare lid, doubt it'll work but...

I've a funny feeling it might take a little longer than 1/2 hour to jet the carbs though :thumbup:

The Plan was to keep the original paper filter & baffle plate & increase the snorkel/intake size only. Nothing to help/increase flow.

mik_str

Re: Yet another airbox lid mod

Post by mik_str »

how do you expect that poor engine to breath? :biggrin
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Keep us posted on how you get on with it :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Varastorm wrote:The Plan was to keep the original paper filter & baffle plate & increase the snorkel/intake size only. Nothing to help/increase flow.
space above baffle plate roughly equals to the snorkel area, you won´t help anything. Just for interest, I am now running stg1 engine with complete std airbox, except of dr Honda stacks, and it seems to run really good. Dyno will be in a month.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

FWIW, Big Valley Honda (former US Moriwaki importer) build their bikes with stock airbox and filter and their bikes ran strong. On the other hand, Roger D run a lidless (K&N filter with no lid above) set-up on some of his Stage 1 builds with great success. In the end, both can be made to run......
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Will it not drag water in when it rains :confused
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:Woohoo1: there's no holding this boy back :)
It will be interesting to see how this turns out Phil. I agree though, it could be a problem if it rains when you're out :eh:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

on the positive side, it could work as natural water injection......
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I have a mate racing in the Wirral 100 on the Anglesey circuit over the weekend (pre injection). So will use that trip to see what's what. Cheers guys :thumbup:

I know it will not improve anything at the moment, but it might make it run like crap.

Plan is to see if it runs ok'ish as is. If it's not too bad then I'll start to increase the baffle to lid gap by introducing fibre washers one at a time (either side) in between the mounting screw hole mating faces & trimming a little off the top of the vertical filter dam each time, so the lid still seals as it should.

That way, by me introducing small changes I should see/feel when it starts to misbehave, That's the theory

It might be a total waste of time, but it might not. We will all know by Monday :wink: :thumbup:

BTW, IIRC, a little moisture/rain in the intake increases power, so with out even fitting it there's a benefit noted already :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
adyf

Post by adyf »

I did this mate with a k+n and dynojet and I like you couldn't stop fiddling so drilled holes in the fairing to feed more air at it ,ran like sh1t except at silly speeds when you could feel the induction never mind hear it ,did show 170 on the clocks down hill back wind ,fuel consumption was 'interesting' good luck I took it off straight away maybe you can get it to work.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, I've played with big holes in the lid and also the MWr filter with no lid, and it will run like a light switch- no proper running below certain revs then it all clears and flies.
You can't ride it on the road like this and it's no use on the track either.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Varastorm wrote:I have a mate racing in the Wirral 100 on the Anglesey circuit over the weekend (pre injection). So will use that trip to see what's what. Cheers guys :thumbup:
You might want to check your dates, classic bike trackdays are at Angelsey for the weekend, This weekend.

http://www.classicbiketrackdays.com/events

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mine was running a little rich but i put about 20 half inch holes in the airbox lid. sounds bloody great at high revs and pulls like a train from tickover so the gods of sweet running must have looked down on me..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Have you any photos of the lid Fabio?

If not, any chance you could? Just for reference.

I know its been done before, but if yours has no ill effects you might be on to something :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

popkat wrote:You might want to check your dates, classic bike trackdays are at Angelsey for the weekend, This weekend.
Cheers Popkat, I didn't check the dates as I was certain he said this weekend :roll:

I'll still pop there though & try to get a free ticket for race day :thumbup:

Are you, or does anyone go to race or spectate at Anglesey?